The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there is or can be added a jake brake feature on my 2006 F-250 diesel we are towing a 32 ft grand design Imagine camper with a golf cart in the bed of the truck, it stop's fine was just wondering.

·
Premium Member
15,119 Posts
A Jake brake is not a possibility. That involves a mechanical shift in the valves which has to be built into the design of the engine. An exhaust brake is a possibility. There are two options. One involves using a tune to adjust the VGT to a more restrictive position. I can't imagine that would get you much braking and would probably be hard on the turbo. The second would be to install a valve in the exhaust that would be closed while braking. Combine that with extended lockup of the coast clutch and you could get a decent assist from the engine. Here's an example - https://www.xtremediesel.com/bd-powerexhaustbrake1.aspx

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
The coast clutch will already be engaged if the transmission is in tow/haul mode and not in overdrive gear. Why (how?) would it be extended?

·
Premium Member
15,119 Posts
On deceleration, at what speed does it release it's grip? Obviously you're the tranny expert, so I'm just learning here. On my 4R100, the transmission "releases" and coasts at about 40 MPH when I'm in stock tune. When I'm in my tow tune, it continues engine braking down to about 20 MPH and actually downshifts as you slow down. Now, it's not triggering my EBPV (does the 6.0 even have that?) but it does dramatically assist in braking.

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
It should stay on lower than 40 MPH. As I remember the 4R100 (and it's been a couple of decades) the coast clutch stays on until around 10-13 MPH. Same for the 5R110W.

The 6.0L doesn't have an EBPV. It adjusts the vanes in the turbo to produce the same effect. And it does do that to assist with braking.

Reactions: Idahoser

·
Premium Member
15,119 Posts
Well, maybe it's just the torque converter staying locked up longer combined with downshifting, but it is a noticeable difference between the tow tune and stock.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the SCT tuner and found it has a feature that's called a Jake Brake I believe it does something in the tune with the turbo, I was wondering if this would have a adverse affect on the engine I have 180K with no work done on the head's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It should stay on lower than 40 MPH. As I remember the 4R100 (and it's been a couple of decades) the coast clutch stays on until around 10-13 MPH. Same for the 5R110W.

The 6.0L doesn't have an EBPV. It adjusts the vanes in the turbo to produce the same effect. And it does do that to assist with braking.
Mark, you told me how well the turbo braking worked on the 6.0 back in 2003 when these trucks were all new. I recall that you used an f550 for moving and found the engine braking very effective.
Based on that and other info I ordered an 03 F350 6.0 auto. I still have the truck and have used it quite a lot for towing. The engine braking is such that with a 20,000 lb truck and trailer weight descending a 7% grade, the engine will hold the speed at 100kmh (60 mph), no wheel brakes used.
In fact I just did that last weekend!
Crested the hill at 120 kmh (speed limit) , pushed brake pedal once and it held 120 on the downslope. That felt too fast so I pushed again and the engine braking pulled the speed down to 100 kmh on a 5 mile long mountain downhill with runaway lanes. 100 felt right.
Thank you for designing such a great trans! The engine has been perfect as well. The only work done to it was an egr delete to play it safe.

Glen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts