The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Similar to the no start thing, my truck had the water in fuel message come on, drained the water and the truck after starting it at idle would die. Maybe once maybe 4 times, then run just fine. Would only do this after it was warmed up and turned off for a few minutes. I ran a couple of tanks of diesel through it, drained the water separator several times. It finally quit dying, I changed the fuel filters. During all of this I would watch the voltages on my scangauge for my FICM and they would stay where they were supposed to. I checked the codes and got crank shaft senor, cam shaft sensor, and two cylinders not contributing.

My conclusion was I got some bad diesel, as I had been filling up at one station at the time everything happened. So when I started thinking that I switched stations and thought I had figured out my problem.

Fast forward 1500 miles and haven't had any problems, it would not start for the yesterday after driving to work pulling a trailer. I pulled the codes and got the cam and crank sensors, which I have read is from over cranking (makes no sense to me why it would throw those codes). Watched while trying all voltages are where they are supposed to be. Waited a while 6 hours here at work, fired up and drove home. Turned it off several times, wouldn't act up again. This morning drove to work, let it sit a couple of hours, went out back to move some trailers around the lot, it died 5 times on me, only code that would come up is P02617. I am at a loss. It will not do it the same every time. And again today the voltages stayed where they were supposed to.

Only other code I have gotten and get everytime after I start it is cylinder 8 glowplug is open.

I had my FICM replaced about 4 years ago. Any ideas? We use the truck as our family vehicle, and getting worried about taking my family in it anywhere other than local trips.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I stumped y'all too!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Which ficm did you use for replacement?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ed's repair, swapped out and went with the atlas 40

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You might call Ed and discuss it with him. I understand he is very helpful and knowledgeable. Since you are a customer he will surely help you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts