The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP - I figure I have to replace the block heater plug end, am I able to do this myself or need a real mechanic? One side of plug is now loose, burnt and burning the ends of (5) extension cords used. I live in WI and it's cold, I need to plug in my trucks. These were my husbands trucks(2005 & 2006 duallys) and he passed away 1 month ago now I have to get it done myself and yes they are for sale soon too- just in case you were wondering. Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
If you have ever replace a end of a plug on a extension cord it will be straight forward as far as replacement.

If not it still should be. I haven't cut a end off of the block heater cord yet so I can't tell you if there are any colored wires but if there are the black one will go to a brass colored terminal on the replacement plug and the white one will go to the silver colored terminal. Green will be the ground and go to the green colored terminal on the plug.

One other thing on your extension cord, make sure that it is a heavy duty one that is at least 14 gauge for the wire in it for a short distance from the outlet to the truck. If it is 50 feet or more get a 12 gauge or even 10 gauge extension cord.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I was also thinking the extension cord might be too small a gauge.

How many feet from the wall outlet to the block heater cord at the front bumper?

The local Fire Dept should be able to assist if you are in one of the smaller towns.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It sounds like you're talking about replacing the male end on the cord that is attached to the truck. If it is badly corroded with age it can create a high resistance connection when you plug it into your extension cord. That high resistance connection will then create heat which can cause the damage you're seeing. Its pretty simple to put a new end on that cord. I expect various idiots have posted Youtubes explaining the process if you want to endure that but any halfway competent kid should be able to do it for you. There's a polar vortex headed your way so you'll want to get it done ASAP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have ever replace a end of a plug on a extension cord it will be straight forward as far as replacement.

If not it still should be. I haven't cut a end off of the block heater cord yet so I can't tell you if there are any colored wires but if there are the black one will go to a brass colored terminal on the replacement plug and the white one will go to the silver colored terminal. Green will be the ground and go to the green colored terminal on the plug.

One other thing on your extension cord, make sure that it is a heavy duty one that is at least 14 gauge for the wire in it for a short distance from the outlet to the truck. If it is 50 feet or more get a 12 gauge or even 10 gauge extension cord.
Thank you, yes we were in construction, so all the extension cords are heavy duty (and just plain heavy when it's a 100')! I'm a small woman.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was also thinking the extension cord might be too small a gauge.

How many feet from the wall outlet to the block heater cord at the front bumper?

The local Fire Dept should be able to assist if you are in one of the smaller towns.
Thank you, heavy duty cord 15' - 20' from outlet. I'm thinking I need to pay someone else to do this, I'm not comfortable messing with unknown territory! Appreciate everyone's advise. I make quilts, not work on dually's!

·
Super Moderator
26,499 Posts
Your other option is to replace the entire block heater cord, but you'd have to crawl under the truck, unplug it from the heater (that end is a special plug), and possibly unbolt it from the frame brackets. Cords are available from a Ford Dealer, but they'll rob you on the price. They could also replace it for you, but again $$.
Your least expensive approach would be to get one of your husband's construction friends to help out. An Electrician would be appropriate to replace the end on the cord. I'm sure one would be willing to help for free given your circumstance. I would if I lived nearby.
Sorry for your loss.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
Where are you located at, we might have a member who can help you out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your other option is to replace the entire block heater cord, but you'd have to crawl under the truck, unplug it from the heater (that end is a special plug), and possibly unbolt it from the frame brackets. Cords are available from a Ford Dealer, but they'll rob you on the price. They could also replace it for you, but again $$.
Your least expensive approach would be to get one of your husband's construction friends to help out. An Electrician would be appropriate to replace the end on the cord. I'm sure one would be willing to help for free given your circumstance. I would if I lived nearby.
Sorry for your loss.
Good luck.
Thanks, that was nice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
HELP - I figure I have to replace the block heater plug end, am I able to do this myself or need a real mechanic? One side of plug is now loose, burnt and burning the ends of (5) extension cords used. I live in WI and it's cold, I need to plug in my trucks. These were my husbands trucks(2005 & 2006 duallys) and he passed away 1 month ago now I have to get it done myself and yes they are for sale soon too- just in case you were wondering. Thank you in advance.
Hi, I own a 2004 F350 with the 6.0 diesel and have delt with the same issue over the years ( I’ve had the truck since new) What usually happens is that with constant use these block heater cords get weak where the male plug end is attached with the constant bending and flexing. Eventually the wires inside break and start shorting causing the issues that you mentioned. Short of replacing the while cord which I have done a couple of times, I’ve just replaced the male end of the cord (the user end). I went to the local hardware store and bought a short medium duty outdoor rated cord and cut the male end off leaving about 10”-12” of the cord and then spliced it to the existing block heater cord and had great success. I went the extra mile and used heat shrink tubing for each wire connection and then wrapped the whole splice with a good electrical tape to help make the new splice waterproof. This method held up for years until I got in a big hurry more than once and drove off with the cord plugged in an eventually broke everything apart (hence: the full cord replacement)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for responding. I just went ahead and purchased a new Ford block heater plug and will be having someone installing it soon. I cleaned up the male end and it works OK. I figured it was just worth it to replace it, even if though it will be sold soon.

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
Replacing it is actually quite simple.

The cord mounts just above the oil filter and it is held in place by a slide on metal clip. All that you need to do is to pull the clip off, remove the old cord and place the new one on then replace the clip. I think that the hardest part would be routing the new cable but since you have the existing one to see where it goes just follow it. So plastic ties are nice to hold the new cord in place if you try to do it yourself.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
That sounds like the 7.3L mounting.

Reactions: FMTRVT

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you for responding. I just went ahead and purchased a new Ford block heater plug and will be having someone installing it soon. I cleaned up the male end and it works OK. I figured it was just worth it to replace it, even if though it will be sold soon.
Your welcome. Very sorry for your loss, best wishes for the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts