The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
This is the first post I have for this forum. Thank you for taking the time to read.

I am very new to diesel engines.

About the truck. I bought this truck about 4 months ago. This truck had its engine rebuilt last year. In fact, the engine just came out of the 1 year warranty. The transmission is three years old.
I just did an oil change about 2 months ago, including the oil filter. I have NOT changed the fuel filters since I've owned it.

I have two things I was hoping to get to the bottom of.

1. I was looking under the truck the other day and found some type of oil leak. I have not seen any drips on my driveway so I'm not sure if its an old leak or new, or just very slow. Can someone please help me identify what this leak may be coming from?

2. I am having this no start when hot issue. After driving for a bit, if I shut it off it does not want to start for about 20-30 minutes. Whenever that happens, it seems to start better when I give it a little gas while starting. Any thoughts?

Thank you all.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I know what this part is now. Its either called the Oil Pressure Check valve, or the Low Pressure Oil Relief Valve. Anyone know if this leak could cause a no start when hot issue?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
It doesn't look bad enough to cause a no-start to me, but who knows. Maybe the regulator isn't working and it is restricting oil pressure.

You really need a scan tool to pull codes and retrieve cranking engine parameter data.

ForScan Lite download to a smartphone and the appropriate ELM327 OBDII adapter and you will be in business for $45.

I like the BAFX brand of adapters - WiFi for iOS and BlueTooth for Android.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Oh - and regarding fuel filters ...... Change every 10-15k miles and use only the Motorcraft filters.

Low fuel pressure is the top cause of damage to your (expensive) injectors. Don;t cause yourself more problems than you need....

An off-brand oil filter cap and the wrong size oil filter to go with it can cause a no-start. Best to stick with Motorcraft oil filters also - assuming you have the correct oil filter cap to start with. The PROPER oil filter cap sticks up about an inch above the canister. The caps that cause the problems are about twice as tall.

Lastly - look into getting a fuel pressure gauge. SO MANY things can cause low fuel pressure. Injectors are about $1600 in parts alone (and that is if you know where to go to get discount prices on OEM injectors - which are the only ones worth buying IMO).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts