The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the front bearings, seals, rotors and brakes on my 2006 fleetwood fiesta that's mounted on a F53 chassis. Can some one give me the service manual torque specs for:

1. 10 bolts for the rotor / hub
2. 2 big bolts for the caliper bracket
3. 2 smaller bolts for the caliper

I can't seem to find the torque specs anywhere on line.
Help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I remember when the Fleetwood Fiesta was a new prototype in development. In the summer of 1999, I was at the Fleetwood production plant in Riverside CA during the week when the Fiesta evolved from a taped together body in white to a running (but not very far, only within the building) test vehicle.

The following information is for a 2001 model year F-53 motorhome chassis (which is the same year the Fiesta was ultimately released, as a 2002 model year).

Please keep in mind that for model year 2005, Ford changed OEM brake suppliers for the Super Duty line. I do not have any information beyond 2003. From 1999-2003, Ford used Akebono brakes in the Super Duty pickups, and Kelsey Hayes brakes in the Super Duty F-53 Motorhome chassis, F-59 commercial stripped chassis, and the F-450 / F-550 chassis cabs.

Do not rely on the information below. The purpose of presenting this information is to provide a pattern to follow in your search, and to illustrate the benefit of having a factory service manual on hand for undertaking serious chassis work, if not a professional. And we can all agree that brakes, especially on a large Class A motorhome, are serious.

1. No idea what you are talking about. Maybe this is the difficulty in finding the information? Does it even exist? "10 bolts for the rotor/ hub"?
It almost sounds like you are talking about the front hub rotor extender / adapter for 4x4 front axles on DRW chassis cabs (130 ft lbs)... but that wouldn't apply to the 4x2 F-53 front axle.
Do you mean Wheel Lug nut torque? The original spec was 150 ft lbs, but if I recall correctly, the lug nut torque spec was revised to 165 ft lbs.

2. 295 ft lbs. (caliper bracket bolts)

3. 42 ft lbs. (caliper slide pins)

I've added a few more torque specs that might be of interest:

4. 26 ft lbs. (brake fluid supply tube to caliper, use new copper washer)

5. Installing the disc brake hub and rotor (1 spindle nut, not "10 bolts for the rotor / hub")
  1. While rotating the disc brake hub rotor, tighten the spindle nut clockwise to 30 ft lbs.
  2. Then loosen the spindle nut two turns counter clockwise.
  3. Then tighten the spindle nut again, while rotating the disc brake hub rotor, to between 17 - 24 ft lbs.
  4. Now loosen the spindle nut again 175 DEGREES.
  5. At last, re-tighten the spindle nut, while rotating the disc brake hub rotor, 17 INCH lbs.
6. Install the cotter pin, hub grease cap gasket, hub grease cap, and hub grease cap screws.

You didn't ask about the rear brakes, but the know that the specs and procedures differ from that of the front, and also differ depending on whether the rear calipers are mounted in front of the rear axle (like mine are) or behind the rear axle (like newer chassis brakes were).

Again, DO NOT RELY on the specific 2001 F-53 motorhome chassis front brake information above. It may not exactly pertain to your similar 2006 model year F-53 chassis. It is posted merely as a pattern for your consideration, to provide helpful guidance and inspiration for you to obtain a factory service manual for the highest probability of success with the repair and service work undertaken.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember when the Fleetwood Fiesta was a new prototype in development. In the summer of 1999, I was at the Fleetwood production plant in Riverside CA during the week when the Fiesta evolved from a taped together body in white to a running (but not very far, only within the building) test vehicle.

The following information is for a 2001 model year F-53 motorhome chassis (which is the same year the Fiesta was ultimately released, as a 2002 model year).

Please keep in mind that for model year 2005, Ford changed OEM brake suppliers for the Super Duty line. I do not have any information beyond 2003. From 1999-2003, Ford used Akebono brakes in the Super Duty pickups, and Kelsey Hayes brakes in the Super Duty F-53 Motorhome chassis, F-59 commercial stripped chassis, and the F-450 / F-550 chassis cabs.

Do not rely on the information below. The purpose of presenting this information is to provide a pattern to follow in your search, and to illustrate the benefit of having a factory service manual on hand for undertaking serious chassis work, if not a professional. And we can all agree that brakes, especially on a large Class A motorhome, are serious.

1. No idea what you are talking about. Maybe this is the difficulty in finding the information? Does it even exist? "10 bolts for the rotor/ hub"?
It almost sounds like you are talking about the front hub rotor extender / adapter for 4x4 front axles on DRW chassis cabs (130 ft lbs)... but that wouldn't apply to the 4x2 F-53 front axle.
Do you mean Wheel Lug nut torque? The original spec was 150 ft lbs, but if I recall correctly, the lug nut torque spec was revised to 165 ft lbs.

2. 295 ft lbs. (caliper bracket bolts)

3. 42 ft lbs. (caliper slide pins)

I've added a few more torque specs that might be of interest:

4. 26 ft lbs. (brake fluid supply tube to caliper, use new copper washer)

5. Installing the disc brake hub and rotor (1 spindle nut, not "10 bolts for the rotor / hub")
  1. While rotating the disc brake hub rotor, tighten the spindle nut clockwise to 30 ft lbs.
  2. Then loosen the spindle nut two turns counter clockwise.
  3. Then tighten the spindle nut again, while rotating the disc brake hub rotor, to between 17 - 24 ft lbs.
  4. Now loosen the spindle nut again 175 DEGREES.
  5. At last, re-tighten the spindle nut, while rotating the disc brake hub rotor, 17 INCH lbs.
6. Install the cotter pin, hub grease cap gasket, hub grease cap, and hub grease cap screws.

You didn't ask about the rear brakes, but the know that the specs and procedures differ from that of the front, and also differ depending on whether the rear calipers are mounted in front of the rear axle (like mine are) or behind the rear axle (like newer chassis brakes were).

Again, DO NOT RELY on the specific 2001 F-53 motorhome chassis front brake information above. It may not exactly pertain to your similar 2006 model year F-53 chassis. It is posted merely as a pattern for your consideration, to provide helpful guidance and inspiration for you to obtain a factory service manual for the highest probability of success with the repair and service work undertaken.
T

1 - 3 of 3 Posts