The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently flushed my cooling system with 150,000 on my truck. After much investigation on the web, I came up with a plan of attack. After buying all the needed supplies, I was amazed at how much money it took. 4 gallons of Ford Gold antifreeze was $120; one gallon of Restore Plus was $40; 2 quarts of VC-9 was $60; new thermostat was $25; 15 gallons of distilled water was about $14. So it cost over $250 just to get started.
And be prepared - this is a messy job! When you remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator, have a 5-Gal. bucket underneath to catch the liquid. Even so, prepare to get splashed to some extent. I took the driver's side freeze plug out once and thank goodness the radiator fluid was cold. Once the plug is out, there's no way to control the fluid flow - it just goes everywhere. I was soaked! Although I had planned on removing the freeze plug many times during the flushing process, I never removed it again. NEVER take the freeze plug out when the radiator fluid is hot!!
Lastly, to round out these lead-in paragraphs, get ready to spend a substantial amount of time on this project. I flushed probably 5 or 6 times and during each flush, I drove around for about 30 minutes. All in all, you should plan on spending the better part of a day to complete this project.
Okay, here's what I did. I removed the lower radiator hose from the radiator and also removed the driver's side freeze plug (one time only). I then put everything back together, added 2 quarts of VC-9 and then topped off with regular tap water. I drove around for an hour and then removed the lower radiator hose to drain the system. Before doing this, very slowly loosen the degas cap to release the pressure. When loosening the degas cap, once you hear a hiss, STOP! Be patient and wait until it almost goes away and then loosen a little more. Eventually, you can remove the cap. Only then, remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator. DO NOT attempt to remove the lower radiator hose without releasing the pressure via the degas cap.
The VC-9 drained fluid was medium brown in color and had the consistency of regular water. I then put everything back together and added one gallon of Restore Plus and topped off with tap water. This is the last time I used tap water. Again, I drove around for an hour. When I drained this fluid, it looked like beef gravy. The color was a dark brown and it had the consistency of a light gravy. I was very impressed with the Restore Plus. I drained this fluid and flushed probably 5 more times using distilled water only. During each flush, I drove around for about 30 minutes. In the end, my radiator fluid was not totally clear. It was still a bit cloudy. But I was running out of time and who knows how many more flushes it would take to yield clear water. So I added 3.5 gallons of Ford Gold antifreeze and wrapped everything up. Since then, my truck is running great!
Regarding the new thermostat I purchased, I decided not to install it. I looked at the time and effort required to perform this task and decided not to do it.

·
Premium Member
15,048 Posts
Well, all you need to do now is flush that Ford Gold snotmaker antifreeze out of the truck and replace it with a Diesel Extended Life Coolant. If you don't, you'll have a plugged oil cooler. Not a matter of if - just when.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts