The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Truck has a really high pitch whistle, louder under load. The only time you can't hear it is when the truck is idling. The whistling noise is coming out of the air intake, can't figure out what's causing it though

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have checked all the boots and I can't seem to find a rip or anything, I've also tried looking at the up pipes and exhaust manifolds too

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have a buddy get in and power brake it while you inspect under the hood. Be sure to set the parking brake and have him hold the Blake's good.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Have a buddy get in and power brake it while you inspect under the hood. Be sure to set the parking brake and have him hold the Blake's good.
I honestly would not do this. The truck has more then enough power to push though the brakes you could end up getting run over if not losing control and hitting something. Just take an hour and pull the pipes off and look at the everything carefully. Plus, It is a good time to clean everything. A member on the 6.0 forum had a high pitch whistle and it ended up being a pin hole in one of the boots. Also a good time to look at the turbos. Make sure the noise is not a turbo going bad. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
sounds just a little bit louder than normal 6.4 turbo whistle...i>d say something isnt right with the intake you have, hopefully just a tear in one of the boots or one of the hose clamps needs tightened.

·
Vendor
607 Posts
Just finished doing a DPF Delete and EGR Block-off on a 2008 F450. While on my roadtest, I started hearing the same type of noise. Turned out to be the coupling on the inlet of the cooler. It was ripped up on top where I couldn't see it. Fixed in about 15min. (had front draw-tite hitch all in the way).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally got around to putting my new intercooler boots on, I now have all aftermarket boots, and it still whistles like crazy! tightened all the clamps up good too, I don't know what else it could be, I'm stumped

·
Registered
484 Posts
That just sounded like turbo whine to me. A bit louder but I don't know what sort of air intake you've got. Can anyone else chime in here. Turbo whine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it's strange because all of the sudden it just started one day, and it's deffenitly more noticeable over what it used to be. it's so loud now that it actually gets really annoying while you drive. and I have an air raid intake. and when you put the truck under load like your going to do a brake stand the loud abnormal whistle comes from the air intake. like it almost has backpressure out of the intake or something. and my truck feels like it's lacking power

·
Registered
273 Posts
Mine did same thing, wish I could tell you what fixed it. I too got the riffraff boots. Didn't fix it. Mine would start whistling at 20 lbs and not boost pass. Worst when towing. Made a whistle that is hard to describe, just earpiercing high pitch like you could hear a dog whistle. did seem to stop after I upgraded to latest h&s program. Sorry not more help. I have s&b intake from time I purchased and never changed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sounds like you had the same thing! it is hard to describe and sure gets annoying! my truck won't boost past 30 psi and it's deffenitly louder under load. does anyone know of there is a metal gasket of anytime between the up pipes and that collector tube that bolts into the turbo, or from the turbo to the down pipe?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts