The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that the truck needs new batteries. I have not yet gone to some place like NTB and have them check out the charging system but I plan to do that. Also, my son advises to also change out the battery cables at the same time. There is mild corrosion at the battery.

My questions are:
  1. which is a good brand of battery to buy for this system
  2. which place is a good place to take the truck that can check the system and replace the needed parts
  3. is replacing the battery cables usually done or not
Thank you for your time

·
Super Moderator
26,758 Posts
Unless there's corrosion up under the insulation at the battery clamps, it shouldn't be necessary to change the cables. You can clean the corrosion off the clamps by dipping them in water with some baking soda mixed in, and then scrub them with a battery clamp cleaning brush.

As far as brand batteries, Interstate or other well known brand is good. Be sure you get the same size as the originals and with the same CCA rating (I think 850A is normal, so at least that high).

You can get your batteries tested at most parts stores, but be sure to test them while disconnected from each other. If you have a multimeter, even a cheapo one, you can check the charging system yourself. You should get 13.5-14V across each battery (meter probes on the posts). If you don't get that, then check at the large terminal on the alternator (positive probe there and negative probe on the engine block). A significant difference in voltage with the two tests points to bad connections.

If your batteries are less than 5 years old, your issue may just be bad connections. High resistance at the clamps will not let the power get through. A battery clamp brush as mentioned above should be used to clean the posts and clamps. I do that every time they're disconnected.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts