The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
2008 F550 ELF Custom
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All, first post here so apologizes for any lack of decorum. Picked up a really sweet ride, an 30ft extreme low floor vehicle made by the now defunct Dallas Smith Corp. Its full time FWD, with swing arm rear suspension, on full air ride that drops the frame within 4" of groundlevel making it handicapt accessible with only a fold down ramp. Sucker only has 6000 miles on the 6.3 Diesel and only 400 hours on the 10kv Kohler Diesel generator! Engine, trans runs, generator run like new. Alittle context, I picked it up off auction and apparently it was owned by Upland CA public library system. They went bankrupt and sold out accounting services to using third party that sliced the bookmobile program. Wife wants to start a business with it.

Either way 25 yr senior diesel techs working at Ford have never seen anything like it. Adds to the cool factor a bit.

Off the rear of the trans has a mini shaft into a custom Dallas Smith Corp drop box, traversing power to a Dana 60 out front. Objective is to have the drop box rebuilt. Looking for recommendations on who can do it. Everyone i talk to has no clue. I'll add some pictures for ya'll. Happy to answer any questions you may have on it and no, there is no torque steer when driving it. Thanks Dennis
IMG_0012.JPG
DSC_0029.jpg
DSC_0025.jpg
DSC_0025.jpg

Registered
1999 ford f250
Nice ride!! 馃憤馃徎馃憤馃徎 The parts in the drop box is probably going to be hard to find if not impossible because it was custom built and the company is out of business. 馃

Super Moderator
If you can't find someone to fix it for you, I bet you could adapt a Ford transfer case to it. It may be based on a Ford t-case anyway. I'd take it to a driveline shop and see what they say about it.

Registered
1999 ford f250
Just curious but why does it need rebuilt?

Registered
Search around on it for a ID tag.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Registered
2008 F550 ELF Custom
Discussion Starter #7
I looked, no tag.

The box is leaking slightly. Hence the reason for the rebuilt.

Registered
Are you trying transmission shops or machine shops?
May even have to pull it yourself.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
The box is leaking slightly. Hence the reason for the rebuilt.
A slight leak isn't necessarily cause to rebuild something.
Where is the leak coming from? A shaft seal should be an easy fix. Seals are standardized and you should find a number on the suspect seal. If the yoke is worn where the seal runs, a speedi sleeve can be installed. If you don't need hard parts (not likely if it's working OK and is just leaking) then about any driveline shop should be able to help you out fixing the leak.
And if it needs bearings, those are standard as well, and there will be numbers on them also.

Azerb12 said:
Found these guys, wonder if anyone has worked with them. Performance Transfer Cases, Quick Change Gears, & Parts | SCS Gearbox
They look like a specialty gearbox supplier, but probably don't do repairs. I imagine if you had enough money, they'd build a box for you.

Registered
2008 F550 ELF Custom
Discussion Starter #10
A slight leak isn't necessarily cause to rebuild something.
Where is the leak coming from? A shaft seal should be an easy fix. Seals are standardized and you should find a number on the suspect seal. If the yoke is worn where the seal runs, a speedi sleeve can be installed. If you don't need hard parts (not likely if it's working OK and is just leaking) then about any driveline shop should be able to help you out fixing the leak.
And if it needs bearings, those are standard as well, and there will be numbers on them also.

They look like a specialty gearbox supplier, but probably don't do repairs. I imagine if you had enough money, they'd build a box for you.
Its a good point, looks like the leak is between the case mounting surfaces though. Also, and this is just different for me, but the case has a slight whining to it, mostly between accel and decel, almost like a straight cut gear noise. I'd rather just get it reviewed than find any issues later.

I'm sure you're correct they already referred me to someone else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts