The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Ford F250 6.4 liter diesel power stroke when i turn it over it barks a little then you here a bit of a squeal. However it still wont start, I'm a little worried that it might need a new set of valves/ lifters. If you steadily crank it over it smells like burning wires. Anyone know how to diagnose this issue

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I doubt its a valvetrain issue. While the 6.4L has a reputation for worn rocker arm tip pivots and fallen off rocker arms however the engine would still start with one cylinder not contributing. The only possibility of a valvetrain failure would be a failed lifter and the resulting debris taking out the oil pump and seizing the engine. A Crank/No Start condition can be the result of many things - too many to sit here and speculate based solely on your description and lack of any diagnostic data. A squeal noise while cranking could indicate a starter concern, a seized front end accessory component or pulley (like a seized A/C compressor pulley) or a base engine failure... based on my experience. The burning smell could be caused by your starter overheating due to any of the listed possible causes or excessive cranking trying to start the truck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts