The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2008 Ford F450 No Crank Help Please?

Last night I went out to start the truck. It had been running fine for the last two
prior days since I bought it. Both previous owners have no experienced this
issue. I have 12.8 on both batteries.

When I turn the ignition key I hear a relay click on the passenger side fuse box
I have tried to start it in P and Neutral with the ebrake on.

Last night I went out to start the truck. It had been running fine for the last two
prior days since I bought it. Both previous owners have no experienced this
issue. I have 12.8 on both batteries. The power on all accessories works fine.
None of the power dims at all when I turn the key to run. I don't have the anti-
theft light on the dash. Ive tried hammering the starter. I don't think power is
making it that far but I might be wrong. I am throwing an engine code but I
was before this started due to the truck being DPF/EGR deleted with a
programmer. The lights on the dash do go out when I attempt to start so I
think the PCM is posting just fine. I'm working through the fuses now. I also
checked starting in neutral and it does not.

I have disconnected the wire next to the passenger battery that leads to the starter and when I connect it to the positive side of the battery ( ebrake on, in neutral, key in on position) and the wire throws sparks and smoke. Is this a ground problem?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I disconnect the wire next to the battery to attempt the start I get sparks. When I put my multimeter on these I get zero juice during start, run, or off position. When I multimeter the wire shown in the picture and connect it to the positive terminal on the battery I get 12.6 volts. That suggests to me that this is grounded and shouldn't be??

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've replaced the EGT sensors 12 and 13 and still no start...

I get voltage through the correct fuses in the cab. No electricity at battery junction box starter relay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried jumping starter terminals with ignition off, on, and starting positions and got nothing but TONS of sparks and smells of burning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No signal to starter solenoid ... Starter Relay under hood pin 85 has power (or is grounded I believe) when key is turned to start. Again, even without a power signal to the solenoid my screwdriver jump at the starter should have worked right?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Put a new starter motor in it already! And don't forget to install a new fuse at F40 in the battery junction box too.

If you disconnected the Brown and green wire and jumped the starter side to the battery positive cable and all you get is sparks and no click the starter is finished. Do perform a visual inspection of the starter cables going to the battery just to be sure but that is a very rare occurrence. Starters? VERY COMMON and yes, with sparks and smoke sometimes. Had one just last week on a 6.0L do the same thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put a new starter motor in it already! And don't forget to install a new fuse at F40 in the battery junction box too.

If you disconnected the Brown and green wire and jumped the starter side to the battery positive cable and all you get is sparks and no click the starter is finished. Do perform a visual inspection of the starter cables going to the battery just to be sure but that is a very rare occurrence.
Starters? VERY COMMON and yes, with sparks and smoke sometimes. Had one just last week on a 6.0L do the same thing.
I checked the wiring as best as I could. I put the new starter in and it still sparked. I am suspecting that the GRN-BRN wire has a short somewhere between the battery connection area and the signal terminal on the starter. If I disconnect that wire at the starter and above I am able to jump the starter. With that wire connected at either end I get a short.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts