The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to buy a 2008 f 450 crew cab. The one I like has a mid-ship fuel tank,-115 cost. What is it?? the dealer didnot know how many gal it held. Please help if you know the answer. When I google, one site said 38gal another said 18 gal with room for alt fuel cells? Thank you for your time.

· Premium Member
1,271 Posts
First of all I will assume that you are looking at F-450 chassis cabs since the pickups are not offered with a mid-ship option. Anyway, the '08 mid-ship fuel tank is 19 gal.

FYI... The one you are looking at is option 65M which subtracts $115 and eliminates the standard 40 gal. aft-axle tank leaving you only with the 19 gal. mid-ship tank. If you want dual tanks (40 gal. aft-axle and 19 gal. mid-ship) it is option 65C (dual diesel tanks) which is only available with the 6.4L diesel (obviously) and this adds $610...

· Premium Member
18,824 Posts
I am trying to buy a 2008 f 450 crew cab. The one I like has a mid-ship fuel tank,-115 cost. What is it??
PowerStrokeHD gave you a comprehensive answer.

The F-450 pickup and the F-450 chassis cab are different animals. So you must specify which one you are looking at.

On the chassis cab with diesel engine, a 40-gallon rear fuel tank (behind the rear axle) is standard. But some trucks cannot have a fuel tank behind the rear axle - roll-back wrecker for example. So Ford makes a 19-gallon mid-ship fuel tank available to replace the 40-gallon rear tank. And with the diesel engine, they also make the dual-diesel tanks available, both the 40-gallon and the 19-gallon diesel tanks. But based on your option price of minus $115, that truck has the 19-gallon mid-ships tank only.

When I google, one site said 38gal another said 18 gal with room for alt fuel cells?
The F-450 pickup has a 38-gallon mid-ship tank - same as the other longbed SuperDuty pickups. But the F-450 chassis cab doesn't have that tank. (Frame is different on a pickup and a chassis cab, so the pickup fuel tanks won't fit the chassis cab).

If you really like the truck you found that has only the one 19-gallon fuel tank, you can easily replace that tank with a bigger mid-ship tank from
Aftermarket and OEM Fuel Tank Systems. But it will cost you a bunch of dough.

· Registered
1 Posts
First of all I will assume that you are looking at F-450 chassis cabs since the pickups are not offered with a mid-ship option. Anyway, the '08 mid-ship fuel tank is 19 gal.

FYI... The one you are looking at is option 65M which subtracts $115 and eliminates the standard 40 gal. aft-axle tank leaving you only with the 19 gal. mid-ship tank. If you want dual tanks (40 gal. aft-axle and 19 gal. mid-ship) it is option 65C (dual diesel tanks) which is only available with the 6.4L diesel (obviously) and this adds $610...
Actually they do have them for the other models I have a mid- ship tank in my f250 and it’s not only offered in the 6.4 it’s also offered for the 7.3 as well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts