The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question.., the exhaust fumes are pretty strong and the truck smokes a bit when taking off from a stop or under pretty good acceleration. I'm surprised that it smokes as much as it does given it supposed to be running a stock tune (per the installer) via SCT X4. FYI, EGR has not been deleted. How much smoke is normal? Should I be concerned about the exhaust fumes? I have no experience with these so I'm looking for thoughts from those who do.

The truck is used primarily for towing, therefore it is low mileage...about 64k. The MPGs and performance from stock is remarkable!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Check your air filter.
But I doubt it's running a stock tune. If you have the sct, check it yourself.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your air filter.
But I doubt it's running a stock tune. If you have the sct, check it yourself.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I'm thinking the same as you Jasper. I can't imagine the power it has and the smoke on a stock tune. FYI, I avoided checking the SCT due to laziness on my part. I didn't install it so I figured I could leave it alone and hide from the required learning. However, I'll take your advice and do so.

BTW, my truck is due for annual maintenance... oil change, fuel filter change, and air filter change. I'll check everything out and reply back. Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sounds rich to me as I do not kno alot about the 6.4 but I will start learning soon enough is it anything like the 6.0 fuel system meaning oil primary fuel secondary in a sense?

·
Vendor
607 Posts
Couple of things,

There's no such thing as rich or lean in a diesel engine. It simply burns what you put in it. Black smoke is the result of too much fuel and not enough air (or not enough timing).

All the performance and all the fuel economy is locked in the tuning. These trucks will not make another up or get another mile per gallon unless they are told to do so.

Go back to the installer and find out who wrote the programming. SCT doesn't do off-road tuning. You have an SCT device, but it'll have someone's custom tuning on board. Find out who did the programming and have them fix it.

If you can't get any resolution, give us a call.

·
Vendor
607 Posts
Couple of things,

There's no such thing as rich or lean in a diesel engine. It simply burns what you put in it.

All the performance and all the fuel economy is locked in the tuning. These trucks will not make another up or get another mile per gallon unless they are told to do so.

Go back to the installer and find out who wrote the programming. SCT doesn't do off-road tuning. You have an SCT device, but it'll have someone's custom tuning on board. Find out who did the programming and have them fix it.

If you can't get any resolution, give us a call.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts