The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has 79000 miles on it and it has a loss of power and I will not drive it. When scanner used it says can’t communicate. All the idiot lights come on and motor runs with no noise. I use it for towing cars and trucks on auto hauler trailer so the truck has never towed excess wait. If any one has the answer or can help please let me know. My son in law thinks it’s ECM. If this was a 1972 Chevy pick up I could work on it. But it has to much electronics for me to repair.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Not being able to communicate with the PCM could either be the scanner or the truck has a network fault. You will probably need to rely on someone who knows how to test that and correct any problems found. That will require a scanner capable of running a network test. Since the truck runs that is the best advice I can offer with the details provided. Yes, in theory the PCM could be faulty but modules rarely fail and typical diagnostic routines essentially have you eliminate all possible causes before condemning them.

Do you know what type/brand of scan tool that was used?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t know the brand. I will go back to Auto Zone and get the info. Do you know what Ford charges for a scan and possible repair? My Ford dealer is 60miles from me. I would have it towed in because I would not want to damage it.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
For that kind of coin you could probably invest in a vehicle interface module and use a good program like FORScan What's new Which I have no experience with however it is quite popular with many of the Diesel Stop members who could chime in here and let us know if there is a network test. My guess is yes considering all of the functions that it can perform.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts