The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, newbie to the forum but I do have Ford Truck history and am learning the 6.0 vans are detuned mostly for heat issues. My question is - anybody tow with their van? I am concerned the detuned 6.0 will not be able to handle towing my 9k pound camper, without at least a tuner and mods. Front Dana 60 w/4.56 gears, Any help would be great, Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will have no problems towing with no mods or a tuner. Even in the E-Series detuned level, there is plenty of power to tow 9,000 pounds.
Thank you for the quick reply Mark Kovalsky. I previously had a 2013 6.7 with high miles that was great for towing but was plagued with emissions issues so I traded for a 2017 F250 with the gas 6.2 and that has been less than adequate towing, besides I am itching to get back into the diesel world, hoping the E450 takes care of that itch. Am looking forward to the flexibility of the van chassis. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey sorry for not being able to reply right away, but I do appreciate all the information you've been sending out here.
I should also say that I have mostly read online forums in the past and have seldom contributed so please excuse my lack of forum etiquette, I've got big feet and am bound to step on someone's toes.

Let me clarify a what I have: When I originated this thread I was contemplating purchasing this vehicle and finally decided I couldn't let it pass. I bought a former ambulance 2010 E450 with Advanced 4WD Systems 4WD conversion, 6.0 diesel, dual rear wheels, with just under 21k miles. Vin decoder indicates 4.56 gears, door tag code says should be 4.10 but I still need to confirm with the axle tag.
Right now is just a cab/chassis but I am in the process of installing a 42" cab back from Blackhawk cabbacks, with the intent to install an aluminum flatbed/hauler type of body. With the extended cab installed I should have very close to 10' of frame left. Distance from rear axle centerline to rear end of frame is 65"
The future intention is to hitch pull our 30' camper while having a 1500lb side by side UTV on the flatbed.

Back to the original towing question - I installed a hitch, seven way plug, Tekonsha TBC and towed my camper 150 miles each way July 4 weekend and it towed well. Roads/hills of NH are probably no comparison to the Rocky's but there are a couple places where the truck struggled, as I expected it would. I completely understand the weight limits of our vehicles and even if I am at the max combined weight, trailer brakes and weight distributing hitch make a world of difference, and I do have both. I intend to get the truck/camper weighed in the near future, I will post here when I do.

Thanks again for all your input, I look forward to posting here more often. Pics coming soon too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.