The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 with about 170k miles. Last week when I tried to crank I heard the starter motor whine and not kick out to turn the fly wheel. I’ve only had it about a year and assumed it was time to replace the starter. I did and problem still existed. I noticed the batteries were 4 years old and per my multi-meter were on the lower side. So, today I replaced both batteries and the starter solenoid relay. Still the same problem! The first attempt to start after replacing batteries and relay, I tried to crank and it sounded like the starter motor was just spinning for about 20 seconds! It finally stopped (not sure if it stopped due to overheating?). Anyway, any help is appreciated! I need to get this sucker running. Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
When the starter motor is out you need to inspect the starter gear on the flexplate to check it for spots where the starter has ground up the teeth especially if you have been having issues with the starter in the past. Otherwise, the starter turning but not engaging is an issue with the starter itself. Inspect the starter electrical connections and that the starter is properly seated on the mounting surface and is the bolts are tight. If so I would bring it back and get another starter.

As for the starter stopping, your 2010 Super Duty has one touch integrated start, a computer-assisted cranking system. This feature assists in starting the engine. If the ignition key is turned to the START position and released when the engine begins cranking, the engine may continue cranking for up to 10 seconds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts