The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! This is my first post so I'll share with you my earlier days of owning Ford products. The first Ford vehicle I owned was a red and white 1964 1/2 ton pickup. I distinctly remember the 4 speed transmission with the granny first gear. In 1976 I picked up a 1975 Ford Ranger XLT Full Time Four Wheel Drive, A/T, 360 engine with 11K miles on it. Previous owner installed auxillary fuel tank so with that and the tank behind the seat...50 gallons of leaded fuel at 0.46 cents/gallon.

Those days are long gone. That was the last of owning Ford products. Crossed over to GM and currently own two 2004 K2500 Burbs. One with 6.0 engine and the other with 8.1 engine.

Stopped by the dealership and drove a King Ranch. First impression, I'm not real keen on the KR leather color or comfort. I'm leaning more toward Lariat Trim - with exterior color of Oxford White/Pueblo Gold. The other item was the rotary dial on the side of the seat pan to adjust lumbar support. Whats up with that? Maybe I'm spoiled by the Suburan's lumbar support by just pressing a buttom to inflate and deflate. I guess I can adapt to the F450 hand crank.

I'm now contemplating ordering a 2010 F450. I don't have a lot of time to contemplate placing order because from the intel I'm hearing is about 3 weeks at best before ordering comes to end for 2010s. I have a few questions that I welcome your input on. 1) Is there any difference in the firmness and ride comfort between KR trim and Lariat trim? 2) What is the difference between Camper Package, Snow Plow Prep Package, Heavy-Service Suspension Package and Extra-Heavy-Service Suspension Package? 3) Dual alternators - what would drive the requirement for tow alternators? 4) Does the ride change if adding FX4 OFF-Road Package compared to without it?

Thats all the questions for now. Thank you in advance for your input.

Terry

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
Assuming you are talking about a PowerStroke diesel engine in an F-450 pickup:

1) Is there any difference in the firmness and ride comfort between KR trim and Lariat trim?
No difference.

2) What is the difference between Camper Package, Snow Plow Prep Package, Heavy-Service Suspension Package and Extra-Heavy-Service Suspension Package?
Snowplow prep is basically the heaviest available front springs (to carry the heavy snowplow without too much front-end sag). It also includes the extra HD altenator (67D), but dual altenators are still available.

Camper pkg includes heavier front springs (but probably not as HD as with the snowplow pkg), and a piece of paper that allows you to haul a slide-in camper without voiding your warranty.

Heavy Service front suspension pkg is also heavier front springs. Basically it's the same on an F-450 pickup as the camper pkg, but without the camper weight certification.

No such thing as an extra-heavy duty suspension pkg on an F-450 pickup.

3) Dual alternators - what would drive the requirement for tow alternators?
High electrical draw, such a brush-fire truck with a million watts of lights on headache bars, or an ambulance with lots of lights. Or a "built" off-road truck with a million watts of lights on a headache bar or two, and a big high-draw electric winch. :wink2: And of course there's always the guy that wants bragging rights that he ordered every option in the book. :)

4) Does the ride change if adding FX4 OFF-Road Package compared to without it?
No, not enough to measure. It's basically skid plates for the transfer case and fuel tanks, plus some loud-colored shocks and a different sticker on the bed. But those skid plates add some weight to the truck, so the pkg does slightly affect the ride.

·
Registered
592 Posts
We bought a 2010 F-450 Lariat with the camper package and it ended up with a front GAWR of 7k which is as high as you can get.

The FX4 package Rancho shocks seem to have a "stiffer" damping rate, I can notice the change in ride on a F-350 SRW when we switch them out but I would not be willing to hazard a guess as to their effect on a F-450.

The dual alternator option gives you 320A of output and we always spec our trucks with them from a redundancy standpoint as up here it is only a ~$300 actual cost option above the upgraded 200A alternator.

I am also quite impressed with how the white platinum tri-coat looks compared to the more traditional oxford white (or refrigerator white as I like to call it).

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have the KR 450. I preferred the ranch leather for the more rigid of the two. I am comparing the lariat pkg seats. The older (03) Navigator had the Lariat seats with an air conditioned venting system. It was nice but for me I liked the more solid ride. Its a truck, a Ford truck and it rides just how I like it. Even more solid that my 02 F350 SRW.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stopped by the dealership and they insisted I take the 2010 F450 KR 6.4L for the day. So I took it for a ride. Now I have a question for F450 owners. There is this sensation of the front tires or front end float while making slight steering corrections while driving straight. I don't know how else to explain it. Is it due to the narrow width of the front tires? Could it be the wet road surface since it just rained.

Terry

·
Registered
296 Posts
My opinion...
I noticed it briefly but after getting used to it.. it is all good! We are used to driving with wider tires and these are very prone to picking a line. I think your right becasue these are some skinny tires. Maybe the compounds used in making them also have something to do with it considering they are re-groovable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went back to dealership and drove 2010 F350 Lariot 6.4L 4WD SRW short bed 3.55 axle. I noticed a considerable difference of acceleration response between the F350 and F450 6.4L 4.10 axle. Its almost like night and day. From a complete stop, gradually accelerating seemed like the F450 was lagging compared to the F350 with no lag. Anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks,
Terry

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have not tested a 350. The other day i had to make a quick lane change which included jumping on the peddle. This 450 was out of the hole quicker that my 02 7.3 Banksed engine ever was! very responsive rig. I am very happy.

But again, I am not sure what the 350 has to offer. Being lighter may have something to do with it. I do not have enough info to make a decision.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The narrow 225/70/19.5 tyres on the F-450 seem to be more "darty" for lack of a better word, especially when they are under inflated which is likely coming off the dealer lot.

Acceleration wise a F-350 with 3.55's and 34" tall tyres and weighing 1500+ pounds less than a F-450 with 4.30's and 32" tall tyres is going to seem quite a bit faster.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
your not buying a hot rod you're buying a truck to tow something.

I drove an 2010 today in Richmond and found no difference to my 08.

Ther tires are regroovable truck tires and the lugs are very big with deep grooves - what you are feeling is the lugs moving.

Goodyear 647s are a bit better if you want to trade tires.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The F-450 tires are load range G and are definately a commercial truck tire. I've noticed from the beginning that these tires don't like grooved concrete. It'll also startle you if you drive on uneven pavement and change lanes. Evidently the sidewalls are very stiff compared to the tires used on the F-350 dually. This might be part of the reason for going to the 17" wheels on the '11.

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
Thanks,
Terry
Are you the "Terry" that tried to order a 2010 from Cochise but waited too late?

If you're that Terry, then you already know that Cochise busted his butt to get the order through, but the answer came back:

Ford zone manager said:
I'm sorry but the 2010 Super Duty's last day for scheduling was 12/04.

2010 Super Duty Job #1 Balance Out Timing – All Markets

Final 2010 Job #1 orders due to the plant: Friday, December 4, 2009

Last day for spec changes and cancellations: Friday, December 4, 2009

Final 2010 Job #1 production date: Thursday, February 4, 2010
So if your order was not in Ford's big computer in the sky by last Thursday afternoon, then it won't be built as a 2010.

It's normal for the plant to close for a coupla weeks vacation during the holidays at the end of the year. Then they will complete the orders in the order bank, then they will use whatever 2010 model parts and components they have left to assemble units for dealer stock until February 4. Then a very hectic weekend for some to convert the assembly plant to 2011 production. Other than clerical staff, you can bet that every salaried employee at the Kentucky Truck Plant (KTP) will be working 18-hour days for several days between the last 2010 and the first 2011 model coming off the end of the assembly line.

Just thinking about it makes me very thankful that I'm retired and no longer have those hectic weekends in the world of working for a living. ;) No, I've never worked in an assembly plant, but I've had lots of experience helping to implement new or revised worldwide Air Force automated accounting systems that accounted for billions of dollars worth of taxpayer's money. So you bet I remember those 18-hour days.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are you the "Terry" that tried to order a 2010 from Cochise but waited too late?
I am.

If you're that Terry, then you already know that Cochise busted his butt to get the order through, but the answer came back:
There is not a doubt in my mind that Cochise didn't press the envelope on Ford pulling my order. I owe Cochise a huge "thank you" for his effort.

So if your order was not in Ford's big computer in the sky by last Thursday afternoon, then it won't be built as a 2010.
Timing is everything. My order was "unsch/clean" on 25 Nov but with the T-G holiday, it more than likely didn't make it under the wire so to speak.

I've learned a few things from this experience/process...which is good. I'll admit, this is a little bit of a setback but I'll regroup and move forward.

Terry

·
Vendor
1,940 Posts
I am.

There is not a doubt in my mind that Cochise didn't press the envelope on Ford pulling my order. I owe Cochise a huge "thank you" for his effort.

Timing is everything. My order was "unsch/clean" on 25 Nov but with the T-G holiday, it more than likely didn't make it under the wire so to speak.

I've learned a few things from this experience/process...which is good. I'll admit, this is a little bit of a setback but I'll regroup and move forward.

Terry
Terry,

Well, I MIGHT have some good news for you depending on which trim level you decided on. The spec we went back and forth on prior to my vacation durning T-Day is indeed being produced. I never heard back from you but went ahead an submitted the order for a stock unit. Of course the price is going to be higher now though ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Terry,

Well, I MIGHT have some good news for you depending on which trim level you decided on. The spec we went back and forth on prior to my vacation durning T-Day is indeed being produced. I never heard back from you but went ahead an submitted the order for a stock unit. Of course the price is going to be higher now though ;)
Exactly. I called to order that week and learned that you were on vacation for two weeks. What number can I reach you at?

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
Contact Bobby Williams @ (909) 822-4404

Now, if Bobby can do his magic to change the order to have it delivered to a dealer near you on the right coast, you're all set. But he'll have to charge you for the dealer prep and paperwork cost the delivering dealer will charge him for a "courtesy delivery" - probably a coupla hundred bucks - or probably more if your dealer is in the expensive metro DC area.

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
My order was "unsch/clean" on 25 Nov but with the T-G holiday, it more than likely didn't make it under the wire so to speak.
It's very surprizing to me that Cochise had your order in the order bank in time, but Ford didn't "pull" the order and schedule it for production on 3 Dec. I suspect Ford had a lot more last-minute orders in the order bank than they could schedule on that last week of production. Or else you ordered a component or something that Ford had run out of before the last week of production scheduling.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Gentlemen,

Cochise here. I'd like to wish one all all the "Happiest of Holidays"! And thank you for all the kind words.

Ford has yet to explain why Terry rig was not pulled... I don't expect them to. I have my zone rep working on getting another dealer's allotment which is a long shot at this point. After all, as of Dec 4th all orders, stop orders and modifications had to be in the system to be processed.

Bobby, If you have a rig that you and Terry speck'ed out in th' bank, that would be th' way to go.

Terry, As I stated earlier today; if you want we'll let it ride for a day or two to see if my zone rep can "pull th' rabbit out of th' hat".
I thank you for your service to our country, Sir!

·
Vendor
1,940 Posts
Bobby, If you have a rig that you and Terry speck'ed out in th' bank, that would be th' way to go.
Just sent Terry an eMail. The truck is actually not per his exact spec as we can not get factory Navigation here in Cali due to the engine idle shutdown. I tried to see if I could do an alter and it's locked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts