The Diesel Stop banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned anything other than a Ford vehicle, 3 f150's and most recently the f250 that I write about now. A few years ago I took over a small business in which day to day operations required a heavier duty truck than the f150 that I was running. Naturally I didn't consider anything other than a Ford. After countless hours of searching sites like these and reading the horror stories people were having with the previous model Ford diesels I decided to pony up the extra money for the more reliable 6.7....after all was said and done it would pay for itself by not dumping money in repairs for the previous models, right? WRONG! Here I sit with a 4 year old truck that has 102,000 miles on it and an estimate of $19,000 to have a new motor put in it. Last summer I experienced some engine troubles, occasionally when accelerating from a dead stop the engine felt like it was slipping and the whole truck would shake while it was shifting gears, it happened most often around 40-55 mph, the turbo wouldn't give any boost and the needle on the dash wouldn't budge, etc. The engine light never came on and the diesel tech at my dealership couldn't get the truck to do it while he was in it so after two weeks and multiple trips taking it to the shop I was told to "drive it till it tears up, when the check engine light comes on we'll tow it in and we'll be able to fix it then". Well the light finally came on, a mile and a half before the engine started shaking, making a loud knocking noise and locking up in the middle of the road. Total engine failure...102,000 miles. The truck that I'm making house type payments on, that I rationalized putting that much money into by telling myself that it would be worth it because it would last 10+ years, has let me down and left me on the side of the road with only a fraction of the amount of miles on it that it should have taken me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So what does "total engine failure" mean? What happened? has the dealer pulled the engine to really find out or are you just taking their word for it? What kind of noise did it make? any smoke? did you're oil pressure or temp gauge give you any indication as to what was happening? When you previously had it to the dealer did it throw any codes? I'm brand new here also but this is your first post and all you can say is "total engine failure" I'm too new to use the T word but .........common.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So what does "total engine failure" mean? What happened? has the dealer pulled the engine to really find out or are you just taking their word for it? What kind of noise did it make? any smoke? did you're oil pressure or temp gauge give you any indication as to what was happening? When you previously had it to the dealer did it throw any codes? I'm brand new here also but this is your first post and all you can say is "total engine failure" I'm too new to use the T word but .........common.
The local dealership called and said that they had it spinning over and were about to push it in the shop to hook it up and see what they could figure out, an hour or two later they called back and the code was something with the #3 cylinder and it needed a new motor, they would do it for $19,000. I'm in a small town, word travels fast, the next day a guy from another dealership called and told me that was way too high and bring it to him...said they could do it cheaper and get help from Ford so I had it towed down there. It's been down there a little over a month and their diesel tech called yesterday and he said "total engine failure". They want to tear it down and find out what went wrong, but that is going to cost me more money. 2,000 miles out of warranty and from what I've read Ford won't help if I'm not the original owner of the truck...I bought it with 50,000 miles on it. When it was in the shop before the check engine light wasn't on and they said it had to be on to pull a code. No smoke, nothing irregular on the gauges. It all happened within 2 minutes. Sounded like a light tick which turned into a loud knock, excessive shaking, and immediately locking up. The dealership it is at now said there's metal shavings in the pan and there was a code on the glow plugs but they pulled them but they look good. I don't know much about the new diesels, just throwing it in the pile of the others that didn't live up to what it should have been and hoping that some one who knows better can point me in a better direction.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If it grenaded on you then I'm truly sorry to hear that.....but I would want more info than what they are telling you. I would ask....whats wrong with #3 cylinder and how does that equate to "total engine failure". Can't this engine be rebuilt? Also get a hold of "Crystal" on this forum, she works for Ford and may be able to help you. I don't know but $19k sounds like a hell of a lot of money and deserves a better explanation of what went wrong. Good luck........

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
If your vehicle was properly maintained, and the issue's you report having were documented by the dealership,[you should have a copy of the findings], then i would say you have a leg to stand on.. As mentioned, get with crystal on here , and get this looked into.. Might just be your dealing with a shoddy dealer..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your vehicle was properly maintained, and the issue's you report having were documented by the dealership,[you should have a copy of the findings], then i would say you have a leg to stand on.. As mentioned, get with crystal on here , and get this looked into.. Might just be your dealing with a shoddy dealer..
I have all service records from around the 50,000 mile mark when I purchased the truck. I don't know if they have record of it or if they just wouldn't give me that info when I went by to get previous service records. Originally they couldn't get the truck to act up while they had it so they claimed the rotors needed turning and the tires were out of balance and that was what was causing it to shake. I took it back a week or two later because it started doing it again, on that ticket it says "coolant is leaking, thinks coolant is leaking" then has 3 numbers/codes with warranty beside each of them, another 2 that say oil tube and antifreeze with warranty beside each then caused by turbo fitting leaking under it. The next morning it acted up again so I took it back, this time they replaced a sensor, ticket says bad MAF sensor to the cost of 333.12. Next morning it did the same thing so I went back, diesel tech was outside and met me at the truck...he got in and we rode 15 miles but it wouldn't do it. That's when he told me to drive it until it tore up and he wouldn't be able to figure it out until the check engine light came on. When he called to tell me the motor was no good and they would charge me $19k to fix it he remembered all of the trouble I had with it previously, I don't know that they have any of it on paper other than what they repaired though

·
Registered
272 Posts
Like Navistar45 said contact Crystal (FordService) on here and she will help out with this.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
They should have the issue you reported on paper.. Not being able to duplicate an issue, thats often a problem for any brand, any dealer.. The main thing is, your complaint is documented, and your service records are fairly in check, again no matter the brand, they will look at the history of the truck.. Its no secret the 11's had the random valve issue, and a history of fuel pump failures.. If you have your complaints on paper, and decent proof of PM's, i would think FOMOCO would work with you in your case.. Again dont let a possible piss poor dealership spoil your ownership experience.. Try crystal, and if that gets you no where, seek other solutions.. A lawyer may be needed, or if you know deep down lack of care is the issue[just sayin], you might consider an engine from a wreckout as your cheapest alternative..

·
Registered
352 Posts
more than likely its the ex valves that came apart and killed the engine. "FORD" will be the first one to tell ya should have bought a esp warranty. but you may be ablte to get assistance towards the cost of the engine. most ive seen is 3-4k.. at 19k for everything that will include the fuel sys. basically a turn key. that would be the way I would do it. do you really want to transfer over 100k mile fuel sys and potentially take out you new long block. hate to hear that this happens but it does. thats why I don't own one... these engine have a weak designed fuel sys, ex valves are prone to failure. mostly the 11's. they all are prone to spinning the bearings. this is all fords baby now. cant point the finger to anybody else. now...? lets just see how they are going to deal with it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
this is all fords baby now.

Ford blamed, then fired Firestone. Ford blamed, then fired Navistar. Can Ford fire themselves? We already know Ford can't blame themselves.

All jesting aside, in this not so funny situation, one thing to try and ask the dealer for is to be able to see the OASIS record for your VIN.

You want to check to see if the previous dealer logged your concerns about how the engine was misbehaving while you made those repeated visits to the dealer presenting the problem while the truck was still under warranty.

Another thing to check for is to see what concerns and/or repairs were made to the engine when the truck was under the previous owner's stewardship. There may be some history there that indicates a pattern, or that indicates some non disclosure by the selling dealer.

Even if Ford does offer assistance... which sounds doubtful after 100K and 5 years, but not entirely improbable IF the concerns you presented prior to the expiration of warrant were indeed documented in OASIS, and, those concerns can be shown to be directly ancestral to the current catastrophe... even if all that were to go in your favor... what if you were still looking at $15K out of pocket?

At that point, it might be wise to assess the salvage value of the truck without an engine, sell it as is, and coupled with the money you would have spent fixing it, buy a different truck for $25K walk away.

The most satisfied owners I personally know with the 6.7L have tended to be those with far less than 100K, who are still well under warranty, and who can afford to trade into a new truck every 1 to 4 years so that they will always be well within warranty. Component longevity isn't a concern for them. And these are the best kind of customers for a new vehicle manufacturer, for obvious reasons.

The most disappointed owners I know and read about are those who expect exactly what you described in your original post that you expected. Not an unreasonable expectation, just not realistic enough to bank on. And sometimes, the best course of action is to cut the loss, and move on.

Maybe there is some value to be found in your vehicle's OASIS record. Maybe there will be enough evidence to show that you did your best to try and bring an impending problem to Ford's attention while your truck was still covered. Or, maybe a previous dealership technician could be blamed, then fired.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I have never owned anything other than a Ford vehicle, 3 f150's and most recently the f250 that I write about now. A few years ago I took over a small business in which day to day operations required a heavier duty truck than the f150 that I was running. Naturally I didn't consider anything other than a Ford. After countless hours of searching sites like these and reading the horror stories people were having with the previous model Ford diesels I decided to pony up the extra money for the more reliable 6.7....after all was said and done it would pay for itself by not dumping money in repairs for the previous models, right? WRONG! Here I sit with a 4 year old truck that has 102,000 miles on it and an estimate of $19,000 to have a new motor put in it...
Hi GA12,

First of all, thank you for your loyalty to Ford. As some of the other folks suggested, get in touch with me via PM; I'd like to look into this and see what options are available to help. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get to work.

Crystal

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
None of us like to hear of this happening to anybody. If it becomes a common occurence the resell value of our trucks drops. If you figure that a 5 year old truck is only worth $25,000 anyway, Having a $19,000 repair bill pretty much shots most of it's value.

I'm sure Ford is not designing these trucks with life expectancy of 100,000 miles. and it sucks that you happen to got one that failead at 102,000.

My nephew buys and sells trucks. He buys them at the auction, Spruces them up and resell them. He has sold hundreds of truck with high miles and for the most part they have performed as expected by the buyers. But I know of a Dodge dually that he sold that threw a rod through the oil while being driven home from the sale. He brought it back, gave the customer their money back and put another engine in the truck and then resold it. Unexpected things happen.

You can't always point a finger at why an engine fails or blame a manufacture for those failures. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. But what we watch as consumer is for trends where certain failures seem to appear at unreasonable numbers. And we just have not seen that with the 6.7L engine. Ford has sold over a million of these engines and we are seeing the occasional failure like yours. But the failure rate is low in comparison to the total number. That doesn't give you any comfort I know. It's still a hefty financial cost for you to repair.

·
Registered
936 Posts
None of us like to hear of this happening to anybody. If it becomes a common occurrence the resell value of our trucks drops.
This bears repeating... and is a blunt reminder of a probable cause for the vigilante defensiveness found on any given forum for an engine model and/or for a brand. Similarly situated owners are indeed stakeholders, with as much personal financial interest in protecting the reputation of their vehicles as the manufacturer has who builds and sells them.

The value of used trucks has never been higher, nor the market for them more vigorous, than in the past decade, as the prices (and the required emissions equipment) on new trucks accelerates far past the affordability of folks who work with their hands and small business owners who actually need the trucks to get their jobs done.

The OP's approach to selecting a used truck is not unlike my own... being more than willing to "pony up the extra money" for something "more reliable" that "would pay for itself by not dumping money in repairs". This is no doubt what most people are looking for when choosing what to buy.

The three way crossroads of resale value, reliability, and reputation is a tricky intersection to navigate through. But when a manufacturer reaches out and extends meaningful help in situations like this, it turns on a green light toward that direction.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Im sure I'm missing something but why is it that Autonation and other companies sell the motor for about $6,500. Now I know it doesn't come with all the bolt ons and I'm sure wiring and other things but I'm sure it isn't needed in a circumstance like this.

https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fus...am=T189040&Title=-F250-F350-Super-Duty-ENGINE

What am I missing or not understanding compared to a $19,000 quote? You don't need brand new everything under the hood.

·
Premium Member
15,115 Posts
$12,500 labor to pay for the dealer's lake house resort.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
This bears repeating... and is a blunt reminder of a probable cause for the vigilante defensiveness found on any given forum for an engine model and/or for a brand. Similarly situated owners are indeed stakeholders, with as much personal financial interest in protecting the reputation of their vehicles as the manufacturer has who builds and sells them.

The value of used trucks has never been higher, nor the market for them more vigorous, than in the past decade, as the prices (and the required emissions equipment) on new trucks accelerates far past the affordability of folks who work with their hands and small business owners who actually need the trucks to get their jobs done.

The OP's approach to selecting a used truck is not unlike my own... being more than willing to "pony up the extra money" for something "more reliable" that "would pay for itself by not dumping money in repairs". This is no doubt what most people are looking for when choosing what to buy.

The three way crossroads of resale value, reliability, and reputation is a tricky intersection to navigate through. But when a manufacturer reaches out and extends meaningful help in situations like this, it turns on a green light toward that direction.
This is a very good statement.. I have sat back and watched for years, the constant comments about the entire family of ford diesels.. The worse statements being made about the 6.0, then the 6.4, and now seems more then ever the 6.7.. I have seen first hand the effects it has on the prices of the vehicles, the 6.0 is proof.. There is no doubt those engines have had their issues, but folks armed with info know it can be turned into a good engine, in a great truck.. The real sad part, its the people who have never owned one, or even made a trip to a repair facility [dealer or independent], that seem to crow the most about these vehicles.. I doubt there are many on here that are happy with how complicated any of these new trucks are, regardless of brand, but it is what it is.. Emissions are the bulk of the problem, but so are all the added frills.. More crap = more crap to go wrong.. If you think the issues are exclusive to Ford, you are sadly mistaken..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Emissions are the bulk of the problem, but so are all the added frills.. More crap = more crap to go wrong.. If you think the issues are exclusive to Ford, you are sadly mistaken..
This is very true. When I had the one issue with my truck, which was very difficult to diagnose, the shop manager of the very large dealership was working on it, and his comment to me (which I thought was VERY true) was, "One of the problems today is these are becoming entertainment systems instead of transportation systems.".

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Drive what you want, talk what you want.. I will say this from personal experience, be it from owning them, winching them onto a wrecker, or simply from what i have seen in the dealership service bays.. I have seen more problematic 6.0 and 6.4 trucks by far, then i have 6.7 trucks.. It would be interesting to know in it's now 5[soon to be 6] year run, how many law suits there have been over the 6.7 as opposed to the 6.4, and especially the 6.0..

·
Registered
272 Posts
jvgviper - Problems are probably 1% of 1% of overall trucks sold. Just like any other brand. Trucks are like guns and the first think I was taught in hunter safety was that "a safety is a mechanical device and mechanical devices are prone to failure". Things break. Take the best care of them you can and when something breaks fix it. If it happens to you it sucks. I have not had a problem with my truck yet but I have had problems with other trucks in the past. I feel for the guys who are having issues but sometimes this forum makes it sound like 1 out of 2 trucks will cost you $10k to $20k in repairs by 100k miles.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.