The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So back in August returning from a vacation in the NH White Mountains towing my travel trailer on I90 in NY pulled over because felt like I had a tire going down. Satisfied all was ok pulled back onto I90 and all of a sudden the steering felt tight (too much resistance) only in one spot. When I tried to steer the truck it would oversteer making it impossible to stay in my lane. Pulled over shut the engine off for a minute or so and problem went away. Drove home to central IN no more issues. Week later problem came back and occurred 8 or 9 times over several weeks. Took to dealer they replaced power steering pump and reservoir after verifying frontend parts all good. Was fine for 1 month came back just as I was turning on to highway after working the evening shift. Back at dealer 5 days now. Of course can't duplicate it now. Very random. Just turned 60k on the odo. Anyone had anything similar? They have a call into Ford. Sorry this is so long.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Any chance you have a siezed front U-joint?? I had the oversteer condition twice. . the second time it was somewhat violent. Felt like the dreaded death wobble. I stopped, looked things over, and continued with no issue. Checked things over when I got back to the shop. . steering was tight. But the RF U-joint yoke was HOT. I greased the hell out of it every day for a week, after driving, And have had no issue.

As a side note, just about any stretch of I90 . . away from the Albany could cause catastrophic damage to any truck. That road is a mess. NYSTA should be ashamed . . charging people to use that POS road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@ Willie 77. Have to agree with you about I90 especially near the approach to the bridges. Almost every time since the I90 incident it has occurred within the first few minutes after a cold start and after a sharp 90 degree turn at slow speed. Has never happened at highway speed. Dealer was supposed to call me yesterday evening, they didn't. It is very random. Also discovered if I pull over, turn the steering wheel all the way left then all the way right it goes away. Strange.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Exactly what I had!!! Get in there and grease the **** outta those U-joints. Take it for a ride. . get them warm. And pump them full. If the problem continues. . maybe u could try a few other tricks. . just google or YouTube "frozen U-joint". There's a few different methods. Worst case . .remove and replace.

I have plenty of first hand experience trying to do my part to build better roads across NY, including I90. In my opinion, the breakdown falls on the shoulders of the Thruway Authority. There is never enough money to do things right. Our illustrious leader in Albany, der führer Cuomo puts the importance of the almighty dollar and the motoring public ahead of work zone safety, project deadlines, and overall project quality. Band-aid after band aid project. U can put lipstick on a pig, but ultimately, its still a pig. Sorry about the off-topic rant. Need to take my BP meds now.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
So back in August returning from a vacation in the NH White Mountains towing my travel trailer on I90 in NY pulled over because felt like I had a tire going down. Satisfied all was ok pulled back onto I90 and all of a sudden the steering felt tight (too much resistance) only in one spot. When I tried to steer the truck it would oversteer making it impossible to stay in my lane. Pulled over shut the engine off for a minute or so and problem went away. Drove home to central IN no more issues. Week later problem came back and occurred 8 or 9 times over several weeks. Took to dealer they replaced power steering pump and reservoir after verifying frontend parts all good. Was fine for 1 month came back just as I was turning on to highway after working the evening shift. Back at dealer 5 days now. Of course can't duplicate it now. Very random. Just turned 60k on the odo...
Hi trgraysn,

I want to get this steering issue on the radar of your regional customer service manager; they'll reach out to both you and the dealer to work on a resolution. To make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ Willie77 Passed on the info to to the service writer at the dealership he said he would pass it on to the tech. That was yesterday. He did say they were having a very hectic day. Haven't heard anything so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Touched base with the dealership today, was told the front u-joints were inspected and that they have been in contact with Ford. That was due in large part to Crystal and the area managers efforts. Thank you for that. However not sure yet what can be done if they can not duplicate the symptom. Since this issue is so random not sure where this will go from here. Hopefully the engineers can come up with a direction. Monday will be two weeks without my truck. Will post results when I get something.

·
Registered
134 Posts
2 weeks?? With no solution/resolution. Wow. Sorry to hear that. This would be unacceptable in my book. Hope u get it resolved to your fullest satisfaction.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Touched base with the dealership today, was told the front u-joints were inspected and that they have been in contact with Ford. That was due in large part to Crystal and the area managers efforts. Thank you for that...
You're welcome, trgraysn; I'm glad things are headed in the right direction. If there's anything else I can do to help, just send another PM my way.

Crystal

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heard from the dealer this evening, Ford has suggested and authorized the replacement of the steering gear. So when it comes in and is installed I should get my truck back. I'm sure the wife will be glad to get her vehicle back too. One comment that was made that I didn't care for was that it is covered by the ESP with $100.00 deductible and Ford may work with me on that. My comment to them was that I had all ready paid the $100.00 deductible for this issue. He said that would have to come from Ford. Hopefully all will work out and I can put this behind me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got my truck back today. Steering seems a little stiffer. No charge makes me happy. Hopefully no more issues. Thanks to Crystal for the help.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Got my truck back today. Steering seems a little stiffer. No charge makes me happy. Hopefully no more issues. Thanks to Crystal for the help.
You're very welcome, trgraysn! Thanks for coming back and sharing your outcome with us. :)

Crystal

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steering issues-
2011 F250 Super Duty King Ranch, 4door short bed, 6.7 diesel- 158K miles

Hey everybody, I have this same issue as above, But have a new steering gear installed by the Ford store, and have this intermittent tracking issue. usually occurs just after a slow speed, full right turn. Issue, randomly pulls to right, steering wheel off center and acts like it grabs a deep rut in the road and pulls. Just had the track bar bracket replaced (it was cracked) , steering gear replaced and aligned twice.

drove great for 25miles out of the ford store, then its back...

today, just as a test, I turned the vehicle full right and then full left several times. When I test drove, problem did not surface. Im leaning towards radius Arms???

any connemts or segestions would be greatly appreciated. So far $2600 and still has the same issue...

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Have you checked the wheel bearings(hubs) and ball joints? I had a 99 that did what you described, and sure enough left front hub needed replacing. It had just enough slop to upset the alignment. I HOPE that between 1999 and 2011 Ford improved ball joints and hubs, because they were trash back then, but you never know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts