The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've long been a loyal fan/owner of Ford trucks. Just thought I'd share the story of my 2011 F-350 King Ranch. I bought it new and it has only had a little over 120,000 miles logged on it. While coming home from Florida a couple weeks ago towing my fishing boat one of the exhaust valves broke (known problem with this model). It basically destroyed the engine. When it arrived at the dealer they did what they could to help me out there, but still the bill to repair my truck will come to just over $10K. I turned to Ford for some sort of support with repairing my truck only to be told there would be none coming. I bought this truck new. It has always had all it's service performed at a Ford dealer strictly adhering to their recommended intervals. I use my "Super Duty" to occasionally tow my fishing boat or UTV so it has only ever seen very light duty. I understand that mechanical anomalies can occur and really have no problem with that aspect of this, but to offer no support to the customer it happened to is no anomaly, it's policy, and that's not an accident. I did expect that when occurred that Ford would offer some sort of help/relief with the repair of said anomaly. There was none. I would have never expected them to cover the cost of this repair entirely, but did think that it possible that perhaps the would offer some discount on the parts for the repair as that would have essentially cost them nothing. I paid close to $65K for this truck and never imagined it would need a $10K repair before it was even paid off. I was poised in the next couple months to spend even more on a 2017 F-350. This will not be happening now as I can ill afford to make that kind of investment with a company who has such little concern for a customer who buys their premium products and is then let down by what seems to be an obvious manufacturing defect. I am saddened to see my relationship with Ford come to an end, but it doesn't seem to be of much concern to them as I have as they have made no effort to reach out to find any sort of mutually agreeable resolution. My sincere thanks to my dealer, Five Star Ford for all their help with this. If only the manufacturer shared in their commitment to their customers.

·
Registered
295 Posts
So sorry to hear about your issue. My 2011 has had no serious issues yet. But I seem to just wait and worry. I owned the first Ford non turbo 6.9 in 83 and drove it forever. Had three 7.3's and the one that my daughter took over is still going at almost 300,000 miles with only new injectors. With my hard worked 7.3's I simply would have never worried about a serious engine failure. We all buy diesels for trust and longevity. In my humble opinion Ford would offer a 200,000 mile catastrophic warranty (even at extra cost) if they truly believed in the longevity of their motor. It used to be that you could count on the truck falling apart before the motor did. Now the motor can die before the truck really gets used up. I hope Ford understands that people may not buy a new 17 and spend 70 grand on it just to go through the same worries. I may just keep my 11 which is in great condition, and and if I have a 20,000 dollar engine replacement, be 50,000 dollars ahead of a new worry. At the price of trucks today (all brands) you should be paying for trust and longevity. -- Good luck.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Biggus,

I am sorry to hear about this. I had a 2011, and traded it in this year on a 2016 because of this very reason. My 2011 was built "in the window" of build dates for the known faulty valves and I couldn't live with the thought of possibly going through what you are going through now. I know you feel bitter about it now, but a couple of things for you to consider before jumping ship.... 1) look for a used 6.7L engine from the junkyard, and have it put in, then trade your truck in. 2) talk to the dealer about trading your truck in now, and let them worry about fixing it. You may be able to reduce your exposure dealing on a new 2016 now that the 2017's are on the lot. Other than the early 2011's with the valve issue, this generation of trucks has been pretty rock solid. All of the big-3 have their issues. Not just Ford.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My Dad's 2011 F350 engine just died last week.

Dealer in Tennessee wanted $18k USD to replace.

Dealer in Ontario will rebuild it for $12K Canadian ($9kUSD).

Not warning, just a ticking noise for about 500 yards, then complete engine shutdown.

Still up in the air if Ford is going to kick in any $$. Truck has 110,000km (66,000mi)

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Biggus,

I am sorry to hear about this. I had a 2011, and traded it in this year on a 2016 because of this very reason. My 2011 was built "in the window" of build dates for the known faulty valves and I couldn't live with the thought of possibly going through what you are going through now. I know you feel bitter about it now, but a couple of things for you to consider before jumping ship.... 1) look for a used 6.7L engine from the junkyard, and have it put in, then trade your truck in. 2) talk to the dealer about trading your truck in now, and let them worry about fixing it. You may be able to reduce your exposure dealing on a new 2016 now that the 2017's are on the lot. Other than the early 2011's with the valve issue, this generation of trucks has been pretty rock solid. All of the big-3 have their issues. Not just Ford.
Isn't this the thinking that allows Ford to behave the way they do? Their product screwed me once so I'll let them know how upset I am about it my buying a new one off them? I'm sorry, I just don't get it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
What is the 2011 build date of bad valves? My truck build date is 12/15/2010. I do know it has the round oil dipstick,vsome saying relates to a build 2 job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts