The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

I have come across a very weird situation and would like to get some opinions. I changed the oil in my truck approximately 2k miles ago. At around 1,000 miles past the oil change, I noticed a little bit of oil on the ground under the truck. I went under and looked. The oil filter had a little bit of oil on it so I checked and sure enough it was loose ~3 full turns. I seriously doubt that I didn't tighten it all the way but either way, I tightened it and the oil under the truck issue went away. At the time, I also checked the oil level and it was still in a good spot on the dipstick. One weird thing I noticed though was that the oil seemed clean like I had just changed it. Every other time, from my experience when changing diesel oil, it almost immediately is black again. I kind of disregarded it though as I had just recently done the oil change.

Today, my wife was pulling out of the driveway and the low oil pressure caution came on and the truck shut down. I went under the truck and didn't see any apparent oil leaks (at least not large amounts). I pulled the dipstick again and the oil level is good but it is still clean!

Over the last 2k miles, I have towed my fifth wheel, boat, etc... Not sure why the oil would still be clean, why I'm popping a low oil pressure caution now and if the oil hasn't been circulating as indicated by the clean oil, why my truck would even still be running... I'm at a loss please help!

Dillon

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
Not sure how you are determining the oil color but I can assure you ......pull the plug and it's going to rain black gold.

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
As far as the low oil pressure you might want to consider changing the oil to be 100% sure the right amount is in the pan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts