The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 ford f550. My truck shifts great up to 3rd gear but won't shift past 3rd. It is pulling code p0771 solenoid e stuck off. So first the dealer said it was external transmission wiring harness. So changed that and still won't go past 3rd. Next they said had to be internal transmission wiring harness changed it still nothing. Then said had to be the solenoid e was bad replaced it still nothing. finally they said must be something wrong with valve body so we put a new valve body and still have no 4,5 or 6th gear? Any other suggestions what to do or a good transmission shop near wheeling,wv? Any help would be greatly appreciated.!

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Your dealer is incompetent.

The ONLY way a P0771 will set is if the solenoid itself is physically stuck. It is impossible for any wiring to set this code.

Solenoid E is the problem. I have no way of knowing, but I suspect they changed a solenoid, just not solenoid E.

I don't know any shops near you. I do recommend you get your truck out of that dealer before they waste any more of your money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did anyone figure out what this problem was bc im having the same issue... i just changed my valve body today with all new solenoids and im getting the same exact code and same issue... no 4th 5th and 6th gears.. started with changing the solenoid and did nothing so i changed the valve body and made no difference

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
A stuck solenoid can be checked with a scan tool that has bi-directional control to turn it on and off with the pan down - if it clicks its moving but typically the fluid in the valve will dampen the sound which isn't very loud to begin with. With the absence of any electrical codes, the P0771 indicates a mechanical failure - the code sets when the PCM does not detect the correct gear ratio after the shift is commanded. Sure, a stuck solenoid or valve can cause this but since the solenoid body has been replaced that really leaves internal issues. When the main control was removed that would have been the best time to perform an air test on the E clutch - and with the main control on the bench that would have the the time for disassembly and inspection. Ford has really emphasized this step in recent years. This failure would have to be diagnosed on a symptom-based approach. It would have been nice if the OP had updated this topic with the resolution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes I totally agree about the person updating what their solution was.. and the codes I'm getting are P0771 and P2704, this code was new to me and only came up once and it hasn't came back so I'm thinking it might have came up bc I was low on fluid.. Like I said I started with the P0771 so I dropped the pan changed the filter and fluid twice and it made no difference so the next step I dropped the pan and pulled each solenoid one at a time and cleaned them and energized them pretty good to ensure they weren't sticking then plugged them all back in and everything put new fluid once again and same results.. next step I ordered a new valve body even took 2 days to ensure it was 100% the correct one, it came with new solenoids, went over everything put it together installed another new filter, but before I did that I used compressed air thru the cooler lines with lower psi and got all the fluid out.. stuck it all together filled it again with new fluid and as it did previously shifting from 3rd to 4th it started gear searching going up and down and eventually locking itself in 3rd as it did each time then went into limp mode displaying the wrench.. after turning the truck off and back on no more wrench as long as I took away 6th 5th and 4th gears. Shifts and drives just fine other than that but as soon as I add 4th on the display and it goes to shift into 4th it does the same bs and always shows that same code

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was really hoping for once my luck wouldn't suck and the valve body would solve my issue but of course I wasted 500 bucks.. from what I'm seeing online there's a possibility of it being the TCM but I doubt it.. is there anything else it could possibly be that don't require me removing the transmission??? Someone mentioned the speed sensors but I feel if they were the issue that it would shift erratically in all forward gears or am I wrong??? I'm def not a fan of pulling the transmission esp since I have no garage and a gravel driveway but Ive done it several times on my last 03 f250 bc I kept cracking flex plates due to someone forgetting one of the alignment pins in the bell housing, unfortunately I never caught it until the 3rd time I had to remove it.. I wanted to mention that this issue with my f350 started out of nowhere, there was no signs or symptoms previously leading up to this.. I was at a red light on pretty flat 4 lane bypass and the light changed and I started going and when it hit 4th the truck went into ***** mode but didn't throw the first code til I came to a stop and started out again.. and honestly the first pan drop I didn't find any metal chunks or anything of the sort.. there was the typical thin layer on the magnet that looked like dirt which surprised me.. I greatly appreciate any and all inputs and opinions.. I drive this truck every single day bc I'm a contractor and it has a rack and utility bed so it's basically my rolling toolbox so it's crucial I get this solved. I forgot to mention as well that I did not have any overheating or even have the temp go up at all since this all started.. most of other forums ppl were saying they were having theirs overheating on top of the same symptoms as me but that's not the case for me, mine drives perfectly, shifts perfectly, I only have 3 gears tho therefore I drive 35 or 40 everywhere like my grandma...

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
If the problem were the speed sensors you would have codes for the speed sensors, not a code for shift solenoid E.

Have you electrically checked the circuit from the TCM to shift solenoid E? The problem could be a bad wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts