The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Hoping for some guidance from the panel of experts. I recently purchased a 2012 F250 with the 6.7l, it has 168000 miles. Noticed a squeal under the hood at 1500 rpm's. It would only squeal at 1500, then quit. It ran perfect, other that a temporary squeal when passing by 1500 rpm's. Brought it to a local diesel shop for inspection/repair. They decided it needed a new turbo. They installed the new turbo, however now it will not start. Apparently it has low fuel pressure, but they do not know why. They have chased lots of different codes, still will not start. I am not an expert. It ran fine before a wrench touched it. They have had it for over 2 weeks. Very frustrating, any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maybe they should tow it to the dealer and pay the bill. It could be many different things. Could be a wire not connected or a blown fuse. Maybe a loose fuel line. Did they show you the old turbo and show you where the squeal was coming from? Sorry you are having trouble but for my money I only trust my ford dealer because they are trained on the new 6.7

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Hoping for some guidance from the panel of experts. I recently purchased a 2012 F250 with the 6.7l, it has 168000 miles. Noticed a squeal under the hood at 1500 rpm's. It would only squeal at 1500, then quit. It ran perfect, other that a temporary squeal when passing by 1500 rpm's. Brought it to a local diesel shop for inspection/repair. They decided it needed a new turbo. They installed the new turbo, however now it will not start. Apparently it has low fuel pressure, but they do not know why. They have chased lots of different codes, still will not start. I am not an expert. It ran fine before a wrench touched it. They have had it for over 2 weeks. Very frustrating, any suggestions would be welcome.
well im not a diesel tech but just general knowledge there is definitely a fuel line not tightened or maybe a sensor messed up.... does the mechanic you brought it to have a ford ids scanner???

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Well I am a mechanic... in fact I am a Ford technician but that is a different discussion for another time. Replacing a 6.7L PSD turbocharger does not require messing with any fuel lines other than removing the fuel filter and it's mount. Do you happen to know HOW they know it's a fuel pressure concern and whether this is a low pressure supply problem or high pressure fuel rail pressure not building? If they can't answer that question I second dragging it to a dealer. I see a few of these every year.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Was it a legit bad turbo that created the squeal? I can't think of a single thing that would squeal at exactly 1500 RPM with the turbo since the spool speed can vary a lot at that speed. Was it the wastegate activating? Sounds to me they broke something when replacing the turbo and can't figure out just what they broke.

I know I'm not familiar with the 6.7 turbo, but the 7.3 I had was simple, turbo, wastegate, and not much else, what is different on the 6.7 that could possibly squeal?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts