The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the ford part for the fifth wheel 7 way plug in the bed that comes with the fifth wheel prep package. The part # is BC3Z-13A576-A. Can anyone tell me the dimentions of the opening required for this box? Does anyone have a pictue of this opening or is anyone willing to pull theirs out and take a picture?

Thanks,

Josh

·
Registered
758 Posts
I can't help with the Ford part, but mine (aftermarket) was a 2" hole. One thing I will add though is, make sure you mount it high enough where you can reach it easily. I got mine way too low (mainly to work with the bed extenders). I now have to relocate it and find the right thing to fill the hole.

·
Registered
259 Posts
jlp16au,

Don't know if this thread will help you or not....

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f152/trailer-elect-hook-up-new-trucks-260895/

edjunior,

If you go to any home depot or lowes, in the electrical department they have ooops plugs, actually its a round blank off for when you knock out the wrong knockout of a circuit breaker panel or electric box. I believe you can get them up to a 2" size. should work perfect.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have seen that post. Thanks for the link. I would still like to see a picture with the cover removed if anyone has one or would be nice enough to take one.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I used the info in Thom's post to install mine. Instead of cutting a huge hole in my truck I trimmed the tabs off of the Ford box and just cut a hole with a 2" holesaw. I might have had to file the opening a little more so a slightly larger holesaw might be better. I then located the 2 holes for bolting it in and used a die grinder to make slots adjacent to the holes to install the speednuts. A couple of sheet metal screws might have done the trick but I was afraid they might eventually pull out. Nut-serts would probably work too.

I have the tailgate extender in mine and I just swing it in slightly to access the plug.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Can you get a picture of your setup gearhead? I'd like to see where you mounted it exactly. I do move tailgate extender also, but I mounted my plug way too low.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thanks gearhead. So you just leave your bed extender slightly open like that when you're towing? I made mine line up so the cord from the 5er fit through the slots in the gate, and the gate would be "locked" in. Never even occurred to me to just leave it slightly open like that.

·
Registered
581 Posts
So you just leave your bed extender slightly open like that when you're towing?
Yeah, it doesn't get in the way of anything. The bed extender was given to me and I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it but it sure seems to come in handy.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I took the socket assy. out of the metal box and mounted it directly in the wall of the truck bed.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I took the socket assy. out of the metal box and mounted it directly in the wall of the truck bed.
The Ford box is plastic and if you take the socket out of it you will have to mount it near the floor of the bed. There isn't enough space between the inner and outer walls of the bed to mount the socket flush that high up in the bed.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yeah, it doesn't get in the way of anything. The bed extender was given to me and I wasn't sure if I was going to keep it but it sure seems to come in handy.
It sure does come in handy. I do miss my longbed, but with the bed extenders, it almost makes up for it. I have used mine many times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've never pulled a fifth wheel before. Is it necessary to install a new receptacle or can a person use the regular trailer plug down by the bumper?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I've never pulled a fifth wheel before. Is it necessary to install a new receptacle or can a person use the regular trailer plug down by the bumper?
As long as it is the round 7 pin and the plug from the trailer will reach it. Also need to make sure it doesn't try to pull out of the socket on full trailer swing.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I hadn't had a chance to install the in-bed connector the 1st time I pulled my GN with my new truck. There wasn't enough slack in my cable and it broke the under bumper connector when I made the turn pulling out of the driveway. That and you have to worry about the cable scuffing up the paint on the tailgate.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I hadn't had a chance to install the in-bed connector the 1st time I pulled my GN with my new truck. There wasn't enough slack in my cable and it broke the under bumper connector when I made the turn pulling out of the driveway. That and you have to worry about the cable scuffing up the paint on the tailgate.
D'OH !! -- That must have really made your day! To the O.P. - Installing the in-bed plug is too easy not to do. I used to have a Chevy (sorry) that I never got around to putting the plug in so I used a 7-way extension cord which was a pain.

·
Registered
581 Posts
D'OH !! -- That must have really made your day!
Uh, yeah. Fortunately it just broke the tabs that lock it in and I was able to make the trip without repairing it. :icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it possible the trucks bound for Canada have a different harness? I bought the 5th wheel plug from the part # above but the plugs just aren't there. I even removed the spare to look for them. I see the bigger one on the inside of the hitch and from the pictures I've seen the other two should be right beside it but my truck doesn't have the plugs.

oh yeah, it's a 2012 F350 Lariat.

edit: so I went and looked at the trucks on the lot and they all have the plugs so I have no idea why mine doesn't. I guess I'll have to talk to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts