The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Ford F-250. Put after market headlights in it that were plug and play. Drove it home after work and pulled it into shop. Went to pull it out and noticed driver side headlights weren’t working. Can anyone help diagnose this issue? Checked fuses and they were fine. Headlights worked on way home.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
The headlamps are powered by the BCM - the output circuits are FET circuits which the BCM monitors. If excessive load exists the BCM will disable the circuit and set a code to protect the module circuits and typically the fuses will not blow especially it the problem is that the lamps are drawing too much current. If you have a scanner you could perform a BCM self test and retrieve any stored codes. If short to ground OR excessive current codes exist you should pull the lights back out and inspect the wiring and reinstall the OEM lights, clear the codes and verify proper operation. It could simply be the aftermarket lamp is causing the problem by drawing more power than the module allows. If you don't have a scan tool don't worry, the FET circuits will reset when the lights and ignition are turned off. Once the over current condition is corrected the lights should function.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, what aftermarket lights did you install?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the morimoto XB headlights. Passenger side work driver side doesn’t. I’ve come to the conclusion that the headlight itself is junk. Something internal is loose. Hit a bump and they would come on. Used power probe on connections. Truck had all the power it needs to provide to the headlight itself. Used the power probe on the headlight connection and it wouldn’t light it up. Hopefully I can get a replacement for it from the company I purchased it from.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts