The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this notification on the highway and now the check engine light stays on. I had an alert for low DEF but I filled that and the light stayed on. My transmission was running between 192-198 and oil temp was 196-199. This is my first diesel truck and I'm not to sure what it could be.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
What was the notification?

Some times it takes a few miles and re-starts before the DEF light goes off.

Your EOT and TFT seem ok to me if you are driving around empty.

If your truck reduced power and the light is on, it would help if you scanned for a code.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If your display is like mine, turn the truck to on with the down arrow held down on the steering wheel. This will get you into the diagnostic menus where you can find the code.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The def stuff went away but the service engine light is still on. I'm in test mode now but I don't see any codes anywhere but I'm not sure what it is I would be looking for

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I received this notification on the highway and now the check engine light stays on. I had an alert for low DEF but I filled that and the light stayed on. My transmission was running between 192-198 and oil temp was 196-199. This is my first diesel truck and I'm not to sure what it could be.

Low DEF is the most common cause for the reduced engine power warning. Did you completely fill the DEF tank? Many people report tank level issues when they don't actually FILL the tank completely. If you had then something else is going on. Depending on your current mileage a 2013 truck should still be under warranty - I recommend taking it to the dealer to be diagnosed if the warning light stays on. It could be something unrelated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I topped it off. I took the truck by autozone to run the code and it was a low fuel pressure issue. I added some injector cleaner and gonna change the fuel filter. The light went off but I'm gonna have my diesel mechanic check just to be safe

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Yes I topped it off. I took the truck by autozone to run the code and it was a low fuel pressure issue. I added some injector cleaner and gonna change the fuel filter. The light went off but I'm gonna have my diesel mechanic check just to be safe
For the life of me I don't understand why people dump that garbage in their fuel tanks. Do know what the code is? There are two possible directions we can go here as there is a low fuel pressure senor that will detect a problem with the fuel supply pump or clogged filters. The other would be low fuel rail pressure - with several possible faults. We don't want to speculate do we?

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I don't remember the exact code but it I did see fuel rail on the scanner
Okay. At least we know now. Best recommendation I can give you is to take it to the dealer with a good reputation with diesels. Not Autozone. They cant help you and relying on Internet forums is guessing at best most of the time.

Don't take this the wrong way but you didn't accidentally put any DEF in the fuel tank did you? I have seen this half a dozen times myself at this point. Only reason I bring it up is that if there is even a possibility of that happening I STRONGLY urge you to not drive it until the truck has been diagnosed. I have seen a total engine failure caused by DEF contamination.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I put the def in the right place, I'm going to hope it was just a brief clog. I'm doing an oil change now and changing the fuel filter. Then I'm going to take it on the highway and see what happens. If anything I'll just take it to the dealer

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Good luck - lets hope its filters. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I would take Ford Doctors advice.

My opinion is that if you have a light then the Ford dealer would scan your truck under warranty. Is there a reason that your truck is out of warranty?

If there is a Light on and or reduced power, there is a code, changing the fuel filter and oil won't clear the light. Some codes can only be read by a good scanner and the only place I'm sure that can read all the codes is the Ford Dealer's scanner. It is possible that Auto Zone cleared the code, but their scanner couldn't read it??

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Hi Dolfanman619,

I wanted to touch base and see how things are going with your truck. Are you getting any warning messages now? How many miles are on it?

Crystal

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,
I had a very similar thing on my 2015 F-250, 27k miles on it. Out of no where into limp mode no messages and the check engine light came on. As above all standard gauges read normal. I pulled over and shut down waited and restarted. CE was still on but I had full power. Finished the 20 miles to get home with CE light on all gauges normal. Shut down and restarted a couple of times to see if it would clear and did not. Read this forum a couple hours later and went out to try the down arrow engineering mode trick. No CE light, no codes, no nothing. I had an appointment with Ford but they said up front I would have to pay for diagnostics on a truck that is under warranty. Will it retain the codes even though the active code has cleared? Is it worth the threat of the charging $186 just to check an engine light.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts