The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving along the hwy on Thursday pulling the Bass boat to the lake when my truck which up to this point showed zero signs of issues, quickly displayed a “reduced power” for about 15-20 seconds and then shortly after died while doing about 55-60 mph. I quickly narrowed it down to a fuel issue and pulled my filters top and bottom to realize that was what should have been the issue. They were not far overdue but I must have been getting crap fuel for a while cause the one under the hood wasn’t passing hardly any air when I blew through it. Anyways, changed filters and primed system completely and still no start. Truck cranks fine and sounds completely normal just with no fire, but has no knocks or any irregular cranking sounds. I did however have multiple codes pulled from p0087,p0087pd, and p2291pd, along with a couple other warnings I will try to post pics of all. But I have fuel getting all the way up to the filter under the hood and can hear it coming in when the key is initially turned but it almost instantly goes into a hissing sound that sounds like air from somewhere which I cannot for the life of me locate. I’m holding out hope this isn’t a full on fuel system failure but would really appreciate any insight or ideas of what this could be other than that if anyone else has been through this or may know of what to look for before I plunge into the full fuel system death kit that ford makes to rebuild. Any help is much appreciated. I will try to attach the short video of the under hood hissing and if you pay attention you can clearly hear the fuel began passing through for a short second before the hissing begins. Also the codes that the cheap little OBD II diagnostic tool my buddy had showed us.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Is the under truck filter canister drain pointed almost straight to the right?
It might be a good investment of time to unscrew that lower canister and inspect o ring and then lube the seal with a good bit of Vaseline. smear a film aabove threads wher that O ring seals. WHen you do that the lower canister will go on by hand and it will come to its stop soundly and drain will point to right. Then cycle key a few times to see if the noise goes away after a bit of gurgling. The plugged filter could certainly be the cause of the codes as they are low fuel pressure codes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have the filter tightened down til it hit the stop, there is still quite a bit of gurgling sounds coming from the tank even after I pulled the line off under the hood and ensured fuel was coming through up there. I’m not certain but I believe the blue quick connect under the 2 hoses connected to the under hood filter is the return line and I disconnected that line to ensure it had fuel going through it as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts