The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time for my new to me 2014 6.7 to get an oil change.
What oil do you guys use?
Is one filter better than the others?
Does the fuel filter need changing with each oil change?
Did I forget anything?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wow pop corn time.
I personally only use Motorcraft full synthetic oil in all my fords and i have 5
Second you always change the oil filter every time. I trust Motorcraft.
Fuel filter I believe 30,000 miles is ok. Look in the owners manual to be sure.
Sure you can go cheaper but sometimes cheaper isn't good

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS, I always change the filter with oil change, in fact, I think the filter change is more important than the oil change.
I remember the old 7.3 somebody said the fuel filter needed to be changed with the oil, I hope not!
I was hoping plain ol wallyworld cheap oil would be fine, along with a Motorcraft oil filter.
I swing for Mobil 1 synthetic for my GMC 4x4 with an LQ9 6.0, but you know how those LS engines have lifters ticking after a hard run.

·
Premium Member
4,074 Posts
Ford Motorcraft oils are sold at Wal-Mart along with the Motorcraft oil filters. Pretty easy one stop, you can even get Howe's fuel additive there to help keep the fuel tank fresh.

For me MC 10w30 (recommended) is doing just fine and works best to keep the "typewriter" ticking away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS guy's, I guess I will use Motorcraft 10W30 and a Motorcraft filter and Motorcraft Fuel filter ...... now off to google to find out how to change the fuel filter.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Motorcraft 10w30 is not full synthetic if it matters. Ford recommends 5w40 full synthetic or 15w40 dino for use with bio fuels up to 20.

Also, 5w40 is the oil Ford recommends for severe duty.

Most on other forums lean towards the 5w40 full synthetic oil over straight dino oil.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Motorcraft 10w30 is not full synthetic if it matters. Ford recommends 5w40 full synthetic or 15w40 dino for use with bio fuels up to 20.

Also, 5w40 is the oil Ford recommends for severe duty.

Most on other forums lean towards the 5w40 full synthetic oil over straight dino oil.
‘Can’t go wrong with 5-W-40 full synthetic. The cost difference is very minor compared to the cost of these engines or the cost to rebuild them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
THANKS, I always change the filter with oil change, in fact, I think the filter change is more important than the oil change.
I remember the old 7.3 somebody said the fuel filter needed to be changed with the oil, I hope not!
I was hoping plain ol wallyworld cheap oil would be fine, along with a Motorcraft oil filter.
I swing for Mobil 1 synthetic for my GMC 4x4 with an LQ9 6.0, but you know how those LS engines have lifters ticking after a hard run.
The 6.7 has a 13 quart crank case. You have to make sure you get the correct oil. Not just any 10/30 oil will work. It has to be for diesels. This oil subject has been beaten to death but do a search to make sure you get the correct spec oil. I am not sure off the top of my head what that is. I always just go to the dealer. I also tow with mine so I only use full synthetic.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
If you are going to do your own oil changes and want to go full synthetic plan ahead and look for sales. I Run synthetic in all my vehicles and change once a year. I keep my eyes out for a sale and buy enough to do everything at once.
DENNY

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guy's, I will probably just go with the recommended Motorcraft 15W 40 from Walmart this time ...... if I can keep it running long enough to get the oil warm!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts