The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 f250 super duty with a 6.7 liter diesel. About 6 months ago one of the exhaust manifolds separated from the its head and had to be replaced. When this happened the engine would make a horrible squealing noise, like a bearing of some kind. The truck had a little over 100,000 miles on it (just out of warranty). I took the truck to the Ford dealership where it had all of it’s work done since I got it. To fix the problem the dealership told me that they had to lift the cab off the frame to get to the exhaust manifolds. Both manifolds were replaced to prevent the problem from reoccurring. Took 2 weeks for them to do the job. While they were performing the repairs a piece of exhaust gasket fell into one of the cylinders and lodged itself between the piston and the cylinder wall requiring the cylinder head to be removed to get it out. When I finally got the truck back the squeal was still there but not as pronounced. I took it back to the dealership and after 2 more weeks they said they couldn’t find anything wrong and that the truck was fine. I took the truck to a local diesel mechanic and he found that the turbo charger had a cracked housing and needed to be replaced. After the turbo was replaced the noise was gone but the new turbo is very loud and the truck has developed a lugging/shuddering problem. While cruising between 40-50 miles an hour in 4th or 5th gear and rpm around 1100 the engine will start to shudder and the whole truck will start to shake kind of like driving over washboards. The problem will also happen in 5th gear at about 60-65 miles an hour and 1300rpm. Letting off of the accelerator or getting on the accelerator will make the shudder disappear. It is way more pronounced going uphill or when towing my work trailer. The trailer weighs about 3 tons. This never occurred until the turbo charger was replaced. Sorry for the long story but I wanted to let you know the whole story. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Thoughts?
  1. The cab DOES NOT need to be removed to replace the exhaust manifolds.
  2. The exhaust manifold gaskets are stamped steel and simply do not come apart.
  3. AS for the shudder - it is difficult to tell without actually driving it myself - could be driveline, transmission or engine performance. There is also TSB 10-0136: Some 2011-2016 F-Super Duty 250-450 Pickup vehicles equipped with a 6.7L diesel engine and built on or before 23-Feb-2016 may exhibit a runs rough/misfire condition only during the exhaust regeneration process. This condition typically occurs on light throttle tip in between 64-113 Km/h (40-70 MPH) and will not set diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). The concern may be intermittent and a knocking noise may be present during the concern - PCM calibration update and replace the exhaust valves in the left cylinder head. Again, this concern only occurs during regeneration

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealership told me that the one manifold gasket burned itself up and became brittle and that is why it cracked apart. As far as the shudder goes it does not happen during regen. It will happen every time the conditions are met. Don't understand why changing the turbocharger would create this problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
1. The problem could have something to do with changing the turbocharger.
2. It could have nothing to do with the turbocharger and was just coincidental that it first happened after you changed the turbocharged.

Start by checking for codes with the proper code reader. If you get codes, then post them here.

In the mean time, check to see if you get the shudder while the vehicle is in park when you rev the engine to the rpm where you are getting shudder. If it happens while the vehicle is not moving down the road, or if it only happens while the vehicle is moving down the road could be a clue to what is causing the problem.

Also, check all of the tires to see if there are any bubbles or separation starting to happen.

Reactions: ford_doctor

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tires are brand new. Doesn't make the shudder while in park. The mechanic who installed the turbo and myself took the truck for a drive about a week ago. While I was driving he was reading his code computer. We put the truck through it's paces and no codes came up. Nothing, no engine codes, no transmission codes, no exhaust codes, nothing. The truck is my work truck. Needless to say I need it to be sound. I am scared of driving it especially while towing the work trailer, but I don't have much of a choice.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts