The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 long bed 4x4 that is wearing rear tires out. At 25,000 the Michalins were gone. Dealer said I didn't rotate them, and aggressive driving, which is BS, but the fronts were fine, if I would have put them on the back they would have had the same problem.

I bought new BFG All-Terrains and put on there, now it is time for the first rotation and the fromts look brand new, the rear are about half worn out.

Anyone else have this issue. These new tires cost 1700$, is there a fix for this?

20" rims if that matters.

·
Super Moderator
26,591 Posts
Not enough info to really give you an answer.

Your dealer may be right. You'd be surprised with all the torque a diesel has how little go-pedal it takes to make the rear tires slip (even slightly) on takeoff, especially if unloaded.

Other possibilities:
Limited slip rear differential set up too tight, causing wheel slip on turns.
Tire inflation
Vehicle Load
etc.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I have a tired old 7.3 285,000 miles and still have to be very light on the right foot or I will burn up the rears. You have twice power I have, so unless you drive like you have a egg under when empty I would say you are burning off the rubber. Turn off the radio and roll the window down for a week. You will hear it if you slip a tire. If all the ware is in the center than you are running to much PSI. I run 45-50 PSI in the rears empty. Check the other things Kevin noted he is seldom wrong!!
DENNY

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have owned a 01 7.3, an 06 6.0, drive super dutys everyday for work. Also have a Class A CDL. I know how to drive.

Also shouldn't this truck have an open diff, with a locker? Could traction control be the problem?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
What does your load normally look like?
I would also have a 4 wheel alignment check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ford checked the alignment, said it was good.

Normal load = empty. I pull my party barge and my side by side. Not much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts