The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 2015 6.7 with 22k on it from dealer it had a fresh oil change. I checked it a few times and it always read just over full. I just changed it again and put 13 quarts In it and it's still reading just over the full line. Any one else noticing this?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Manual says let it drain for full 20 minutes. Lots of pockets of oil to drain...

Funny, even with full registered on dip stick, I can get barely 12 quarts drained into old oil containers, including a drained oil filter. Guess the fibers in the oil filter keep almost a full quart?

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
Reading these new dip sticks is an art. The small pockets will need to contain the oil, do not look at any other residue on the end.

Old school that I remember, you just would wipe it dry. Where it ended up wet was the level. These days they just do it different.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Manual says let it drain for full 20 minutes. Lots of pockets of oil to drain...

Funny, even with full registered on dip stick, I can get barely 12 quarts drained into old oil containers, including a drained oil filter. Guess the fibers in the oil filter keep almost a full quart?
not sure if it's 20 minutes.. but i like to drink at least 3 cold ones while draining. then i proceed to plug her back up and add oil. i know for sure at my dealership they don't drain for 20 minutes that's why i do my own.

Reactions: T diesel

·
Registered
39 Posts
Most likely it's just that you didn't get all the prior oil out of the system.

When you did your first oil change did you top it up accurately or just put in the number of quarts? You can have a couple things happening if oil level seems to rise after the fact. First, you had oil that was still settling so there was more oil there than you expected. But the other issue is that you might be getting fuel into your oil. That's worth checking. Send a used oil sample to Blackstone. It's a $35 test including all the extra assays, and it's one of the best preventive steps you can take in protecting your engine. They will measure fuel in oil as part of the analysis.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think there was some extra in the system. I will check in the morning but last time it was just over the top line on the stick. I also think I measured wrong when I did the oil change. I filled the filter with 3/4 of a quart cause it was full then I added 13 quarts to the crank when I added the oil. Totally didn't even think about the filter already having oil. So therefore I should only by 3/4 of a quart to full so I drained out a little over 1/2 a quart exactly and will check in the morning

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I would do a drain, Add the 13 quarts and start the engine, let it run for a minute and shut down. Let it stand for 5 minutes and look at your dipstick and make a mental note where the fill line is. Thats probably where it should be when full vs what ever the marks say.

I'm just not going to worry about a small variation vs the dip stick mark. But rather in knowing where it should be and if it has dropped or lost oil.

·
Registered
191 Posts
looking for oil sample kits/reccs ... ran across this thread.

I bought my truck from a local dealer in August '15. Ran it 5K as it had a fresh change, etc... then learned you cannot use the autozone funneling drain pan. The oil comes out of the engine oil pan MUCH faster than the funneling drain pan into the "tank." ... that equals BIG MESS on your driveway!!!! So, I started letting Ford's Quick Lane change it. $80 ... sigh, I could hardly get my Amsoil/filters for that price. Ran that way all of 2016 ... every 3 months, oil change with Ron at Quick Lane. They were friendly, accommodating. I didn't have to dispose of the oil ... got a little facebooking time ... it was all good.

Then I did the DPF delete and adopted Terry Dyson's rec for engine oil on this rig: RLI 15-40 low ash HDMO. Amazon Primed, Amsoil EAo filter ... and ... old school galvanized open drain pan. 15 quart capacity. still didn't accomplish on the concrete carport ... went out into the gravel drive. The photo below shows what happened ...

I'd written about this elsewhere, but I wasn't aware of this "20 minute" rule ... though my taught technique was to let it drain until it drips no more frequently than once/3-5 seconds (depending upon "cold" or "hot" and oil weight). So I think I drained it well ... the dipstick actually shows 2/3 full on the hatched scale with 13 quarts serviced (13.1 is the book???? sigh) and has been holding that for two weeks. Also interesting is the "hatched area" on the dipstick is only 1 quart ... the 7.3 "refill-full" is 2 quarts. Hmm.

I'm wondering if Quick Lane hadn't done the drain time/fully drained over the 4 times I used 'em last year. Seems like 20 minutes is all they needed from start-finish.

Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Guy's im fussy, but come on be a little realistic. Your oil is black very quickly with a diesel engine. there will be pits and valleys that hold the dirty oil. Heat your engine up and then let all the oil drain back into the oil pan and pull the plug after it has cooled a bit so you don't burn yourself. your engine has dirty oil film all over inside and your not going to get it all out. 13 quarts of clean oil and new filter is the focus, not every drop of old oil. it doesn't even matter. And a 1/2 cup on the dipstick cant be noticed. If you want to be anal save it for something important like a quality install of something. 1/2 to 1/4 of oil is nothing to get excited about, Really!

·
Registered
191 Posts
@Jimbo40

I think you'll agree, the photo I linked in my previous shows WAY more oil than should be in the sump. 1/2-1/4 of a quart is NOT my reference. Based upon my 15 quart drain pain overflowing and substantially ... I'm thinking my buddies at Quick lane only drained ~ 12 quarts each time ... 4 times last year = 4 quart overfill.

My description isn't about being anal over a cup of oil in a 13 quart capacity.

·
Registered
48 Posts
@Jimbo40

I think you'll agree, the photo I linked in my previous shows WAY more oil than should be in the sump. 1/2-1/4 of a quart is NOT my reference. Based upon my 15 quart drain pain overflowing and substantially ... I'm thinking my buddies at Quick lane only drained ~ 12 quarts each time ... 4 times last year = 4 quart overfill.

My description isn't about being anal over a cup of oil in a 13 quart capacity.
Shaark92
Don't take offence please. The reference to being anal is not always a negative term. If i'm looking for precision I want anal, and for me that's most of the time. If someone is rebuilding my engine I demand it. changing my oil, not so much, just do a good job.

How do you thinks it's possible for someone to leave 1 quart behind first change then 2 quarts second change and so on. you would have to put the plug back in while oil is still rapidly flowing out of the pan. There is no reason for someone to do that. try it, you'll end up with a mess somewhere. not incompetence, laziness, or other. it would take more time and be more trouble to leave a quart in. then 2 then 3 then 4?

Perhaps your oil is being diluted by fuel and adding the additional levels to the pan. I think you should have it analized (pun intended) for fuel contamination to see. That's far more likely than the other scenario.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi Jim.

I wasn't offended. Evidently I misinterpreted your use of "anal." Yes, I agree, anal is not bad when discrimination is necessary.

I have done UOA on this (not this particular change, but in the past) ... and I didn't smell diesel fuel when I drained this oil, either.

Perhaps they simply overserviced this last time, but I still say it's clear this wasn't just a cup. I'll note, after a complete drain and adding 13 quarts, the dipstick shows approximately 1/3 low in the hatched area ... so, approximately 1/3 of 1 quart (if I understood the manual to read a 1 quart range from refill-full). It's CONSITENTLY been reading this since I did the oil change almost 3 weeks ago and almost 500 miles. Same spot in the driveway, checked cold.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not "trolling" for an argument, either. Just want it to be "right." Too much money invested in these trucks to have something as basic as oil service become a major problem. I'll update as I go.

·
Registered
584 Posts
It's always possible the oil change guy was putting 15 quarts in it shaark92. I would check the invoice to see how much oil you were being charged for. Even if they billed you for 13 it's still possible 15 quarts were added. I remember reading on this forum about guys having that done to their 6.7 trucks at the dealer. 15 quarts was the capicity on the powerstroke all the way up to the 6.4 in 2010 and adding too much was a common mistake on the 6.7s.

Reactions: shaark92

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks Shark:)

Wouldn't you have a laugh if you found out your drain pan was only 12qt. ?? go pour 3 gallons of water in it, (Just for fun mind you) everythings made in china these day maybe a mislabel on pan, LOL

I also have oil issues with a Mack quad axle and a 350 engine and oil quantity. I have 13 pieces of heavy equipment. lots and lots of changes and filter coming out of my ears. Right now I have 300 gallons of used oil just to get rid of. I'm no stranger to oil changes, but have never changed My F350 yet only 2200 miles on it. Hope I don't have the same thing as you or I'll be calling to pick your brain.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I did consider that, too, Jim. I've yet to relocate the oil ... but will report back if it does happen to be a 12 quart ... but I don't think so. it's very close to the same dimension (eyeballing it) as the 15 quart auto zone I used to use on my 7.3 which would drain slower ... and fill it. Anyhow ... it's a hoot one way or another. Congrats on the new rig!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts