The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather warmed up a little today and it was not raining, so I decided to install my rear axle Mag-Hytec cover. This truck has 8,800 miles on it and as shown with the rear axle on my 2010, there is quite a bit of wear-in metals flying around. The oil was dark gray and the two "sumps" in the bottom of the axle housing were full of creamy metal laden oil. Six quarts of Amsoil 75W-140 were installed (which is two more than the stock cover would allow). After I install the front cover, the ISS Pro axle temperature gauges will be installed. The wear pattern on the ring gear looks fine indicating that Ford did a good job of setting up the axle. This is a 10.5" electronic locking differential with full floating axles and a 3.55 ratio.

**Note - the small bits of gasket residue seen in some of the photos was removed from the internals before the cover was installed.**

Enjoy!

Here are a few shots of the cover for those who have not seen one:

Here are the axle internals:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same Rear end in my 2015. My question is do you need to use a Friction Modifier for the Electronic locking Diff.

·
Registered
295 Posts
On my old 2001 I installed a mag hytec. Glad you did not do what I did. When I was filling it I let my fill tube slip off into the diff. Had to take it apart again to get it out lol.

On my new 2011 the only problem I've had was loosing my rear pinion seal during a super hot summer trip to Texas pulling my 16000 5ver. I found out then that Ford was only using 80/90 in the dually diff in 2011. STUPID. There was a service bulletin out requiring ford to put in 75/140 as I would have demanded anyway. Even my old 2001 dually required 75/140. Can never understand why Ford would do such a thing. But thanks for the heads up, I should change mine again soon.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same Rear end in my 2015. My question is do you need to use a Friction Modifier for the Electronic locking Diff.
No; you only need FM for a limited slip axle (one that has clutch plates/packs in it). I had a 2010 F-150 FX4 with a ELD and it did not use FM either.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On my new 2011 the only problem I've had was loosing my rear pinion seal during a super hot summer trip to Texas pulling my 16000 5ver. I found out then that Ford was only using 80/90 in the dually diff in 2011. STUPID. There was a service bulletin out requiring ford to put in 75/140 as I would have demanded anyway. Even my old 2001 dually required 75/140. Can never understand why Ford would do such a thing. But thanks for the heads up, I should change mine again soon.
This is quite strange; even my 2010 F-150 FX4 required 75W-140 in it. Although the front axle in my F250 is specified to use 75W-90 in it, it will be getting Amsoil 75W-110 in it when I install the front Mag Hytec. From what I understand when the J300 rating system was changed in the recent past, 75W-110 is the viscosity that 75W-90 USED to be before the rating change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts