The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a brand new 2015 F250 tonight. I am getting XLT optioned like I want it except it had cab clearance lights...

Things I know I'll want done and changed...

Fogs doesn't have them. Easy to wire in factory fogs? I will be installing upfitters switches.

Tinted LED clearance lights... Who makes the best and who had experince?

LED tail lights..

It will get a 6" lift of some brand, 37" Toyos, 20" wheels... Not sure on wheel yet.

Katzkin leather interior..

I would love to install a Lariat wheel.. Does this work and the buttons work? I want a leather wrapped wheel

I also need a homelink set up or something for my garage opener. Any ideas?

That's all I can think of right away

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
Congrats on new truck!
Can't help you on much, but unless your XLT came with the "XLT Premium Package" the switches on the Lariat steering wheel will have a different configuration than the standard XL/XLT steering wheel.

You may have difficulty wiring up a Lariat steering wheel, because the standard XLT BCM (computer) is expecting a different switch topology. The Lariat wheel has controls for a few functions that don't come on a standard XLT.

I only found this out on my truck when I was trying to follow a set of keystroke instructions that another TDS user with an XLT posted for putting the dashboard display into test mode. Hewas calling out different button names that I didn't have....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I tinted my own mirror light with vht spray. I will try to post a picture for you. Can do it off my phone

·
Registered
696 Posts
It has more than this?
Not more, just different - and apparently wired up differently.
Type 1 for XL & standard XLTs

Type1.JPG

Type 2 for Premium XLT, Lariat, KR, & Platinum

Type2.JPG

I don't have factory wiring diagram - all I know is that when I followed XLT instructions, my Type 2 switch did not function the way the instructions for Type 1 operation said.

So, basically, you may risk some having some quirky issues if you transplant a steering wheel from a Lariat onto your truck. They're probably not insurmountable, but may take a bit of sleuthing to figure out the right way to do it.

Maybe someone who's done it can chime in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if the switches mount from the underside and those can be switched over

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
A 6" lift will completely frick up drive line angles, so you want a new truck that vibrates like all 4 tires are 1/2lb out of balance? Maybe they compensate for this by having some sort of provision to mount both front and rear axles at the appropriate angle by some method? Hope so.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A 6" lift will completely frick up drive line angles, so you want a new truck that vibrates like all 4 tires are 1/2lb out of balance? Maybe they compensate for this by having some sort of provision to mount both front and rear axles at the appropriate angle by some method? Hope so.
I hope your other 1233 posts aren't this stupid. In fact, with the lack of intelligence they would have to be in off topic cause you know nothing about the technical aspects...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did a coupe things yesterday, had a spray in bed liner installed and tinted the windows. If your in the Phoenix valley the bed liner looks awesome and the best tint guy I've had in 6 vehicles...

This guy took 1 hour from start to finish. Quick, clean and fast. Completely cleaned up after himself.

I'm digging this wheel and this truck. Need to find a good 6" kit

I'm also going to try and tint the cab lights and mirror lights today. Everybody says recon lights are junk... Anyone have an opinion on that?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got her all cleaned up. A color matched grill with mesh insert, color matched bumper and tinted cab and signal lights will help a ton. Trying to decide if I want to scrap the diesel emblem

·
Registered
696 Posts
Stumbled across a little more info on steering wheel transplants:

On these Super Duty trucks, there is a SCCM - or steering column control module - which relays all the power and information back and forth. The SCCM is programmed to a truck's VIN#. Basically, if you put in a VIN for an XL level truck, the SCCM will not look for the 5-way controls on the left side of the steering wheel used to control the fancy LCD dash message center. Instead, it will look for the simple 3-way switch for the basic message center. Since there are so many variations between trim levels and available options, the VIN tells the SCCM (and other modules) exactly which options your truck has, and to enable "those" options.

Not sure if the dealer would have to get involved to reprogram things for the upscale steering wheel.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I hope your other 1233 posts aren't this stupid. In fact, with the lack of intelligence they would have to be in off topic cause you know nothing about the technical aspects...
That guy is a professional troll on the forums. You can scroll through his posts and find endless nonsense. I always skip over his posts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts