The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Update: drove truck over the weekend and message kept coming on every couple miles "Exhaust Fluid System Fault" in 50 miles truck will be retarded down to 50 MPH, got to 50 miles and message came back and said at restart will be retarded to 50 MPH, so i shut truck off and restarted and message disappeared, so the Ford salesman showed up to take truck to dealership to get detailed and i told him about it, turns out DEF pump went bad so they had pump replaced, i will get the truck back tomorrow and will hit the road with my 1st load, trying to stay positive 60K Truck hope she runs like my 6.4 did

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
...the Ford salesman showed up to take truck to dealership to get detailed and i told him about it, turns out DEF pump went bad so they had pump replaced, i will get the truck back tomorrow...
Come back and tell us how things go when you pick up the truck today, loaded. If you need any help, I'm always just a PM away.

Crystal

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 that the info center in the dash says engine idled def system fault see manual ... It had a engine light on for the pump . I removed the tank found dirt in tank . Cleaned it all out replaced the reservoir , pump hose and injector check engine light is now off but message is still in dash . Does this need to be reprogrammed since it appears to be locked out and truck only goes 3 mph

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a similar problem but the last time I added DEF was well over 3000 miles and there were no faults suddenly I get a DEF fault when towing a 10K trailer and lucky to make it home before it went into idle. I took the truck to the dealer and they claim DEF is contaminated except the the test they do only uses a hydrometer to tell the percent of urea compared to water in the fluid. They siphoned out 2 gallons and replaced it reset the fault but the fault came right back again. This time I siphoned out 3 gallons and checked the urea level with a hydrometer you can buy on Ebay and the level was perfect. My point being without doing a chemical analysis they can't really be sure it is contaminated and the hydrometer reading can easily be done wrong, it only takes a small air bubble to cause a miss reading floating to many balls in the hydrometer. This is over yet for me I am worried about them trying to stick me with a bill for something that is defective in the DEF system because they have no way of knowing for sure without having a chemical analysis done at a lab. If the dealer takes fluid directly from your tank and sends it out for chemical analysis that is real proof nothing else especially from a new mechanic that doesn't know much telling you the DEF is contaminated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Newbie here...
I had my 2012 F-350 check engine light come on over the weekend. I took the truck the local dealership and just got the call that the DEF sender is failing. After reading through the post from others, it seems that this is a regular occurrence? The dealership is quoting $900+ to fix this.

Is this the same issue as this post? Is Ford addressing this?

Thx,
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi FordServie...2016 F350 with DEF System Fault...twice! only 4200 miles on it...anyway you can contact my Dealer and walk them through the repair? They are not very familiar with this issue...1st time, the had the truck for 3 days and exactly 2 weeks later the error came back...all they did the 1st time was to do a software update...I cannot PM you as I am a newbie...how do we go about this? Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I had the DEF System Fault at 3100 miles...DEF was full, said "in 50 miles speed reduce to 50mph" and started counting down...took to dealer. when it was a 4 miles until 50mph..3 days later, they re-flashed (software update) my computer and cleared the codes...it was ok for exactly 2 weeks...got the same "In 50 miles the speed will be limited to 50mph"...I wasn't going to take it to dealer again and waste more money on Uber for going to work (truck is my only vehicle)...so I let it run down to Zero...then I got the message "speed limited to 50mph after restart"...I do a lot of city and rush hour driving, so it didn't bother me at all...got home and unplugged both batteries for 10 minutes, grounded the positive terminals to completely discharge the entire electrical system, plugged the batteries back and I have not seen any error messages since...I now have driven 1600 miles since, and it is all good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DEF Sensor Failure

I am one of the many --apparently-- who is having problems with the DEF system fault message.
Never fear. I found the answer--make sure you have def in the tank by either filling it or checking by way of your dashboard "information" system that says Diesel Exhaust fluid "OK".
Then ignore all the in 100--50--30--20-- miles vehicle will be limited to 50 MPH until it runs down to -0- GUESS WHAT-- it doesn't limit to 50 mph!!!! And the next time you turn off and crank the system fault message is gone.It's a computer!!!! and it reboots!!
This worked for me. Just remember to carry a spare jug of def with you at all times. Now they tell me you shouldn't keep it in a hot location for long periods of time or it will jell and screw up your system. Another case of bad design to comply with EPD regulations.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This may or may not help some of you that get a DEF fault and go into limp mode. My warning on my F-250, 6.7 appeared on the dash indicating I was getting low so I stopped at the parts store and filled the tank. The warning never went away and put me in limp mode 80 miles from home. Long story short, I decided to run the motor between 1800-2000 rpms for 10 minutes to see if I could burn some soot off what ever was causing the issue. At 8 minutes the fault cleared and had no other issues. I might try that before calling a wrecker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 F350 which obviously has the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) on it. I've owned this vehicle since mid May of 2014 and have filled the DEF resevoir a few times when the dashboard indicator reflected 500 miles left. These fills were made from a sealed container. Currnet mileage is 6,303 miles.
Last Tuesday (23 Dec 2014) I received a message on the dashboard concerning the DEF which stated "Exhaust Fuild System Fault" and it went on o state "n 50 miles, Speed Limited to 50 mph". I've seen this warning in the manual and read about it on this forum, so I'm familiar with what happens next. Since I was a good distance from a dealership at work and had a fresh conatiner of DEF, I topped the reservoir off with less than one gallon used. I drove the vehicle home and after restarting it the error message continued to display with the mileage counter. Te dealership could not get me in a Christmas Eve (go figure), but I brought it in on Friday.
Per the service rep, the technician has run the diagnostics, has contacted Ford directly and per their direction performed a REGEN and then drove the vehicle. I'm being told the System Fault message is still displayed. I'm also told that if the DEF is contaminated the warranty won't cover it. I'm having a hard time coming to grips with this since it was pour in from a sealed container via clean & fresh funnel.
My last verbal contact with the service rep (Monday 29 Dec 2014) stated Ford wants the technician to check for crystalization in the DEF tank. I'm told this is either done by running out the DEF from normal engine running (not my desire) or draining the resevoir.
Please view the attached to see the exact fault when I turned it into the dealership.
Has anyone run into this same error of an Exhaust Fluid System Fault?
Was it covered under warranty? I'm seeing dollar signs!!!
Do you still have the same problem occuring again and again?

Thanks for your help!!

2014 F-350 Lariat, CC, LB, FX4, 4x4, dually, 6.7L
I Have a F350 2015 4x4. Just got my truck out of shop from Ford dealer ship. Same as all of you on here.
It said Def default. It cost me 8000.00 to fix. They changed the particle filter and several censors and some wiring harness. They keep my truck for a month keep telling me they was almost finished with it that they had to regenerate
it one more time. This keep going on for awhile. Then they finally told me they have been on phone with tech from Ford and they still come up with nothing. Finally the Ford tech went to the dealer ship and found out it was a ground wire. So I looked up this ground wire. Its called a G400 ground. Its known by ford to miss diagnose the system.
the wire was install improper by a ford reprasentive company called bodybuilders.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Have a F350 2015 4x4. Just got my truck out of shop from Ford dealer ship. Same as all of you on here.
It said Def default. It cost me 8000.00 to fix. They changed the particle filter and several censors and some wiring harness. They keep my truck for a month keep telling me they was almost finished with it that they had to regenerate
it one more time. This keep going on for awhile. Then they finally told me they have been on phone with tech from Ford and they still come up with nothing. Finally the Ford tech went to the dealer ship and found out it was a ground wire. So I looked up this ground wire. Its called a G400 ground. Its known by ford to miss diagnose the system.
the wire was install improper by a ford reprasentive company called bodybuilders.
It honestly cost you $8000.00 to fix?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts