The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Dad bought a new Platinum F-350. it has 2200 miles on it. On his last trip out he heard a horrible noise and stopped to check it out. Earlier that day the Starter was sounding bad. Well he took it into the shop yesterday.

The dealership told him (supposedly, he gets things mixed up easily) that the starter spring broke so the starter grinded up the flywheel. Well somehow this also took out the lower gear clutches in the trans. I am calling BS

I personally could see the trans being bad and putting extra load on the starter. but more than likely I think it could be that both were bad to begin with. His mileage has been horrible from the get go. That could be from the trans as well. Anyways they are replacing the trans, starter, and flywheel.

I am just curious as to if you guys think the starter caused this or someone is full of it like I think they are?

BTW, just bought me 2 weeks ago a new 2015 F350 CC Lariet Ultimate and love it. Averaging bewteen 19-21 MPG and pulls fantastic. Love it!

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
So my Dad bought a new Platinum F-350. it has 2200 miles on it. On his last trip out he heard a horrible noise and stopped to check it out. Earlier that day the Starter was sounding bad. Well he took it into the shop yesterday.

The dealership told him (supposedly, he gets things mixed up easily) that the starter spring broke so the starter grinded up the flywheel. Well somehow this also took out the lower gear clutches in the trans. I am calling BS

I personally could see the trans being bad and putting extra load on the starter. but more than likely I think it could be that both were bad to begin with. His mileage has been horrible from the get go. That could be from the trans as well. Anyways they are replacing the trans, starter, and flywheel.

I am just curious as to if you guys think the starter caused this or someone is full of it like I think they are?

BTW, just bought me 2 weeks ago a new 2015 F350 CC Lariet Ultimate and love it. Averaging bewteen 19-21 MPG and pulls fantastic. Love it!
See my post. Same mileage.

WOW! Feel free to contact me via e-mail.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts

The dealership told him (supposedly, he gets things mixed up easily) that the starter spring broke so the starter grinded up the flywheel. Well somehow this also took out the lower gear clutches in the trans...
Hi Sako7STW,

I'm glad your Dad's truck is in the hands of the dealership; I'm sure they'll work hard to get him back on the road again soon. I'd like to loop in your regional customer service manager; to make that happen, send me a private message with your Dad's full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get the ball rolling.

Crystal

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Sako7STW,

I'm glad your Dad's truck is in the hands of the dealership; I'm sure they'll work hard to get him back on the road again soon. I'd like to loop in your regional customer service manager; to make that happen, send me a private message with your Dad's full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get the ball rolling.

Crystal
Crystal, I sent you a PM with the info you requested. Thank you so much!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
The ring gear is bolted to the crankshaft. The stator is on the other end at the trans. They are separated by the converter.
You should go to the dealer and have a look. Then lend your opinion to the techs working on the truck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe your confused, It is the starter, not stator. I can't tell if your being sarcastic but I was a Ford heavyline mechanic in the mid 90's. Pulled more 460's than I care to remember LOL. Never have I heard of a starter taking out a trans. Remember the starter still worked till he got it to the dealer. Not like it came apart and pieces of the starter got bound up in the bell housing or something.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Good luck and please let us know how you made out, it will feed knowledge to the forum.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Maybe your confused, It is the starter, not stator. I can't tell if your being sarcastic but I was a Ford heavyline mechanic in the mid 90's. Pulled more 460's than I care to remember LOL. Never have I heard of a starter taking out a trans. Remember the starter still worked till he got it to the dealer. Not like it came apart and pieces of the starter got bound up in the bell housing or something.
I said stator, not starter.
As a mechanic, you know that the stator output is isolated from the trans by the converter.
I doubt the trans caused the starter problems.
Is the trans is bad, its not due to the starter. Some 6.7's have had starter problems and ring gears missing some teeth, but that's not related to the trans.
It would be impossible for the starter to spin the stator fast enough to move enough fluid to create any kind of pressure on the vanes. So the trans and ring gear are isolated from each other until there is enough pressure (engine is running).

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'm old so I get things in wriitng so I don't have to repeat it to my kids LOL. I'm not smart enough but I call it B.S. before knowing all the facts.

With no disrespect intended, my understanding is that the stator of a starting motor is the stationary part that holds the field windings (although I believe they are only in AC machines?) There is also what they call a stator (reactor) in the converter that re-directs fluid direction.

That being said, the input to the stator of a starting motor is 12 volts DC and it is electrically and mechanically isolated from the rotor, ring gear and converter. Some call the negative side of the battery ground, it isn’t to you ground it.

Please let us know how you made out.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
The stator is stationary until the truck rolls off and engine RPM gets nearer trans input RPM at which time the stator's one way clutch allows it to move in direction of engine rotation. The stator is used to direct fluid flow back to impeller and to prevent it from being a drag at that time. Once engine speed differential decreases, the fluid circulation diminishes and the stator must move or becomes a power-robber. Stator support is a fixed hollow splined shaft sticking out from pump. It goes into back of TC and splines with inside of stator one-way clutch hub in torque coverter.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm old so I get things in wriitng so I don't have to repeat it to my kids LOL. I'm not smart enough but I call it B.S. before knowing all the facts.

With no disrespect intended, my understanding is that the stator of a starting motor is the stationary part that holds the field windings (although I believe they are only in AC machines?) There is also what they call a stator (reactor) in the converter that re-directs fluid direction.

That being said, the input to the stator of a starting motor is 12 volts DC and it is electrically and mechanically isolated from the rotor, ring gear and converter. Some call the negative side of the battery ground, it isn’t to you ground it.

Please let us know how you made out.
Read what Jimmy wrote.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I did read what Jimmy posted. Sorry I wasn’t getting what you where getting at till you added a new paragraph to your post.
If I believe what he wrote then it is not the reactor in the torque converter that spins the input shift to the transmission, it makes the Pump (impeller) more efficient.

I do have the Ford Technical Training Manual on Torque Converter from 2001 which I read before I posted. Either way I don’t think the two breakdowns are related and was waiting on what the OP says what the Dealer told him.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dad's truck is back on the road already!! Way to go Ford! The dealership ended up installing a new trans, torque converter, starter, and flywheel. There was definitely a problem with the trans, rather it was the TQ converter or the trans they are not sure it sounds like but they were not going to take a chance (we are a well known family in the area and they want to stay on our good side LOL). It sounds like they think there was 2 separate problems between the trans and starter.

On another note, they tested his fuel and it came back as poor quality. the dealership never told him about the cetane booster previously. so he got some, went and filled up and brought it back and they tested it and it was showing good. He got 17mpg coming home pushing a headwind at 78mph avg. Before this he claims he never got better than 9mpg. If that is the case, then there was something very wrong and it sounds to be fixed.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Dad's truck is back on the road already!! Way to go Ford! The dealership ended up installing a new trans, torque converter, starter, and flywheel. There was definitely a problem with the trans, rather it was the TQ converter or the trans they are not sure it sounds like but they were not going to take a chance (we are a well known family in the area and they want to stay on our good side LOL). It sounds like they think there was 2 separate problems between the trans and starter.
Congratulations! Man, I wish I had that kind of service.!

Mine was untouched after a full week and, so I traded it in and gave Ford another $3500 just so I could stay in business.

Funny, though, Ford Service finally contacted me AFTER I traded and gave them more money to apologize for the inconvenience....

·
Registered
178 Posts

On another note, they tested his fuel and it came back as poor quality. the dealership never told him about the cetane booster previously. so he got some, went and filled up and brought it back and they tested it and it was showing good. He got 17mpg coming home pushing a headwind at 78mph avg. Before this he claims he never got better than 9mpg. If that is the case, then there was something very wrong and it sounds to be fixed.
Glad to hear its fixed.
But trust me, it had nothing to do with your very high connections and association with Ford.
I know the son of the owner of 3 dealerships who had a warranty issue with his mustang denied. It is what it is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts