The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the upper oil pan gasket replaced under warranty. In order for them to do this they had to drop the transmission and transfer case. I suspect that the wire harness on the frame rail did not get put back as it should have been. Does anyone know how it is supposed to go? Pictures?

Thanks,
Keith
20201014_190545.jpg
20201014_190606.jpg

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
How about a picture drom a little further out for perspective and to see the routing of the harness. I dont recall ever pulling a harness off the frame when performing an upper pan reseal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about a picture drom a little further out for perspective and to see the routing of the harness. I dont recall ever pulling a harness off the frame when performing an upper pan reseal.

Harness is located on far side of driveshaft

·
Super Moderator
25,753 Posts
I'd take it back and have the dealer who did the warranty work deal with it.
Although it might be as simple as tying it back with a zip-tie.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I kinda have to agree with Ken here - If I had screwed that up I would want the opportunity to make it right

Keith, If that harness leads to the left hand side of the transmission then the harness should run along the frame and then over to the transmission on the transmission support under the shaft. There are plastic hold down clips taped to the harness that secures it to the cross member. Without putting my eyes on it myself it is still difficult to tell and it looks as if there is a harness rubbing on top further back which is why I suspect what I do. As for the damage to the harness - it's pretty light and almost insignificant. None the less, as a tech I would want to inspect it closely to be sure no wires were chaffed but from the picture it does not look like it. A simple re-wrap with tape would be sufficient and the re-routed and secured properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kinda have to agree with Ken here - If I had screwed that up I would want the opportunity to make it right

Keith, If that harness leads to the left hand side of the transmission then the harness should run along the frame and then over to the transmission on the transmission support under the shaft. There are plastic hold down clips taped to the harness that secures it to the cross member. Without putting my eyes on it myself it is still difficult to tell and it looks as if there is a harness rubbing on top further back which is why I suspect what I do. As for the damage to the harness - it's pretty light and almost insignificant. None the less, as a tech I would want to inspect it closely to be sure no wires were chaffed but from the picture it does not look like it. A simple re-wrap with tape would be sufficient and the re-routed and secured properly.
I will have to check that out. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have to check that out. Thanks for the help!
I used a few zip ties to tie it back for now until I figure out the proper routing or a better solution. The harness from transmission is clipped into the cross member below drive shaft. The harness that rubbed Y's and heads to front of truck along frame.
Here are a couple picks looking toward rear.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Good. THe trans harness looks correct and your zip tie repair is all it really needs though if it is a factory harness it was originally secured well inside the frame rail and secures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts