The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening Everyone,

I am looking for some guidance I recently received the dreaded P0087 code and truck was sent into limp mode. I took the truck into the shop after it dying and hard to restart I checked the code using OBII Scanner and the only code was P0087. I spoke with the shop owner and he checked the low pressure pump on the frame and determined we were getting pressure after checking a few other things he called to get permission to tear it down to the fuel pressure regulator expecting to see shavings which there was none (there wasn't even rust which is what I expected as I put 300 - 500 miles per day on my truck but there wasn't any rust). At this point he suggested dropping the tank flushing all of the fuel lines and cleaning the tank which I agreed only to get a call to inform me they had the motor hydrolocked and had to remove the glow plugs (no damage was done thankfully). Once this was done the truck would start without any issues but was still putting the truck in limp mode throwing the same P0087 code at this point my truck had been at his shop for 4 weeks (cant tell you the amount of money cost in lost revenue) so I opted to put the contamination kit from Ford the shop owner agreed as we had tried everything else. The kit was installed and the fuel tank was cleaned the low pressure pump was replaced and both fuel filters were replaced twice only to get a call the truck is doing the exact same thing with the exact same P0087 code I was told as they are watching the fuel pressure on the computer #5 injector and #6 injector had returns and shouldn't be any returns?(I am furious at this point I have $5000 in parts alone in this). We sent the 2 injectors back to the vendor only to be tested and there was no issues during the bench test. I have listed the specs below along with parts replaced in hopes someone has a suggestion.All of the parts used are New Bosch Parts.(not reman).

2016 Ford F350 6.7L XLT Dually
Mileage: 228730
Recently DPF Delete EZ Link Tuner (EGR Turned off)
Regular oil changes 10k miles
Regular Fuel Filter Change 10k miles
Bought the truck brand new in Oct 2016 used for auto transport

Parts Replaced:
Fuel System Cleaned including the Fuel Tank
CP4 Pump Brand New Bosch
8 New Bosch Injectors
Fuel Rails
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Rail Pressure Switch
Both Fuel Filters
All Fuel Lines
Low Pressure Fuel Pump

Side Note the truck runs smooth as glass no smoke no misfire during idle the second you accelerate it throws the P0087 code (which ironically is the same exact thing it was doing prior to replacing all of the fuel system)

·
Registered
614 Posts
You know that you should have taken your truck to the dealer. There diesel tec goes to school to learn about stuff like this. It could have been something like a software update. I don't know why guys refuse to take there truck to the dealer. Like I said it could be a simple software update.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The local Ford dealership is horrible I’m not sure it is something as simple as an update. When we initially had this happen I was getting on the interstate and punched it that’s when the initial code came on.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
As far as I am aware, there is no recal that addresses a P0087 code. The code indicates low fuel rail pressure and it is set when the PCM is no longer capable of maintaining the fuel pressure. While the high pressure fuel system components are the usual suspects there are other possible reasons for the conditions that set the code. Low fuel supply pressure/volume and electrical faults in the DFCM circuits and the fuel control system specifically for the PCV and VCV valves and the FRP signal. A road test while recognizing dome parameters would have been helpful.

I am curious as to HOW the shop checked fuel pressure. There is no test port. An in-line adapter hose is used to connect a fuel pressure gauge to test pressure or measure inlet restriction - BOTH tests should be performed while driving the truck at WOT.

With no contamination found in the system I am at a loss as to why the entire high pressure system was replaced and the low pressure system cleaned as well. Sounds like the part cannon was smoking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I am aware, there is no recal that addresses a P0087 code. The code indicates low fuel rail pressure and it is set when the PCM is no longer capable of maintaining the fuel pressure. While the high pressure fuel system components are the usual suspects there are other possible reasons for the conditions that set the code. Low fuel supply pressure/volume and electrical faults in the DFCM circuits and the fuel control system specifically for the PCV and VCV valves and the FRP signal. A road test while recognizing dome parameters would have been helpful.

I am curious as to HOW the shop checked fuel pressure. There is no test port. An in-line adapter hose is used to connect a fuel pressure gauge to test pressure or measure inlet restriction - BOTH tests should be performed while driving the truck at WOT.

With no contamination found in the system I am at a loss as to why the entire high pressure system was replaced and the low pressure system cleaned as well. Sounds like the part cannon was smoking.
I am at a lose at this point the shop that the truck is located the guy is one of the more respected shops in my local area. He claims he is watching a pressure lose via the computer i'm not sure as to that or if that's even possible? The other odd thing is the truck is running fine no smoke which you would think would be indicative of a bad injection burning fuel. I have questioned him about the programmer which is an EZ Lynk and he said he doesnt think that is the culprit as the truck is running fine?

As far as the entire system replaced I am convinced he wasn't sure of the issue and figured if he threw enough parts at it the issue would work itself out.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
On your model year truck he could be monitoring both the low pressure or the high pressure system. The low pressure sensor does indicate pressure where on prior model years it was just a switch. The fact that you do not show a P008A code indicates the low pressure system is functioning okay. At this point it might be a good idea to have a fresh look at this by someone different and start from the beginning. Ultimately, the pump, the control valves or a leaking injector could still be suspect. Just because a part in new does not necessarily mean that it is good.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm not super knowledgeable on these diesels but any time I start having problems I look at the most recent change or item serviced to see if there may be any remote connection.

In your original post you state "Recently DPF Delete EZ Link Tuner (EGR Turned off)"

I would fully investigate this prior to doing anything else.

Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am at a lose at this point the shop that the truck is located the guy is one of the more respected shops in my local area. He claims he is watching a pressure lose via the computer i'm not sure as to that or if that's even possible? The other odd thing is the truck is running fine no smoke which you would think would be indicative of a bad injection burning fuel. I have questioned him about the programmer which is an EZ Lynk and he said he doesnt think that is the culprit as the truck is running fine?

As far as the entire system replaced I am convinced he wasn't sure of the issue and figured if he threw enough parts at it the issue would work itself out.

Did you ever figure out the issue with this truck? I’ve got one doing the exact same thing. Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you resolved your problem on your 2016 F350 I am going through the same thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm guessing this issue has not been resolved. If you did have a resolve, by all means share the wealth. Thanks

my trucks having the same problem took top side of motor apart and checked for shavings everything was clean ended up upgrading fuel pump and still having the same problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts