The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Work in the quick lane at Ford and had a 16 6.2L come in for a LOF and the oil cap said 5w-30. Shortly after a 15 came in and it said 5w-20 when I checked it. Confirmed with parts that the 16s are now spec'd for 5w-30. Just curious if anyone has heard why the switch

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ford upped the payload from the 2015 to the 2016 models (fairly certain I read that) so perhaps that has something to do with the change (increased load on the engine?). I do not think any of the cooling capacity was reduced, but Ford usually engineers things pretty well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I talked to my Ford service manager about that. We even went out & checked some trucks on the lot. He had a couple 2016's that had 5W-20 on the oil fill caps. He put in a request to Ford about using 5W-30 in the 2015's for me. The response he received back was to use the oil specified on the oil fill cap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To my surprise, I've seen different Ford Quicklane services use non-Motorcraft and non 5W-30 oil, like Castrol. Probably whatever they can get a good deal on. I don't go back to those dealers. The one I use is only Motorcraft 5W20, just like the fill cap on my V10 says.

Ord

1 - 4 of 4 Posts