The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi DeiselStop, I'm looking for opinions on what can be causing a random no-start with my stock, 2016, F350 w/ 40K miles. It's been 100% trouble free until last week when it didn't start. Swapped keys and it still didn't start. then for whatever reason I just held the key in the start position for 20-30 seconds and it started? Went a few days without it happening again, but it has now happened a few times. It's not always the 1st start of the day, it hasn't been very cold. The battery voltage reads 12+ volts prior to turning the key. When I turn to 1st stage and glow plugs it drops to somewhere between 11.4 - 11.7 and will come back to 12V when the cycle completes and still not start.

Nothing happens to the starter when I turn the key at all. The electronics come on: radio, fan, lights...all come on when I turn the key. Glow plug light comes on and turns off like it always does. When I turn key to start the battery and check engine light stay on until it turns over...when it turns over. It's not clicking the starter like the batteries are dying, or starter failing, just not cranking like I never turned the key. It has started right up 90% of the time, but that 10% has me nervous. Has anyone experienced this? I haven't completely ruled out batteries since they are original and 4 years old, but the truck sat for two days through temps in the teens-20s and it started right up. Then I drove it for an hour and stopped to get fuel and it didn't start without the key hold routine.

Any guesses, help, is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
564 Posts
One your batteries is going bad. Go to auto store, and have them tested, but you have to disconnect to have them tested correctly because they are wired in parallel. Replace both batteries at the same time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave. I was definitely thinking the same until i got stuck last night and called roadside assist through insurance. They had a jump pack and a truck hooked to each battery and voltage was reading 13 and it was still nothing. The roadside guy actually ditched me saying it definely wasnt the batteries. He left and told me to call a flat bed. With nothing to do I climbed under the truck and moved and shook every wire I could feel near the starter and tried it again. It fired right up. I took it home but I'm stuck again this morning. There is one very thin wire to a sensor by the top of the oil filter that is in very bad shape. It feels possibly broken in the jacket. Does anyone know what this is? Would it prevent starting if it was broken?

Thanks !

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you find any wire that is in bad shape than go ahead and fix it. It may be your problem. Make sure all the connections at the starter are tight. Check all the ground wires for corrosion. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I hat when threads end without the OP coming back to tell everyone what the problem was so here it goes: The issue was loose terminal connections at the starter. Real loose! I could spin one of them either way with my fingers. You have to get to the starter through the wheel well behind the liner. Not gonna lie, it was a tight fit under there for me, and difficult to get the nuts retightened in such a cramped space. Batteries checked out ok too. Truck is starting fine, and with no expense. That's always a win! Thanks again

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks. I hat when threads end without the OP coming back to tell everyone what the problem was so here it goes: The issue was loose terminal connections at the starter. Real loose! I could spin one of them either way with my fingers. You have to get to the starter through the wheel well behind the liner. Not gonna lie, it was a tight fit under there for me, and difficult to get the nuts retightened in such a cramped space. Batteries checked out ok too. Truck is starting fine, and with no expense. That's always a win! Thanks again
Great news! Seems odd. Have you ever had service done to the starter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even odder was that I found the block heater cord was unplugged! At least it was convenient to plug it back it! i bought the truck with only 14K miles on it a year ago. I cant say for sure what happened to the truck before me. 44K miles on it now and it's great. It replaced a 7.3 Excursion that we had for almost 20 years. We went over 400K in that truck before having to retire it when the rust stopped holding it together. This 6.7 has big shoes to fill.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts