The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a problem with a bad NOx sensor on a new truck? My check engine light came on around 8000 miles. Called the dealer, told to dive it until I get somewhere I can take it in. Was driving across country pulling a gooseneck with an excavator. Took it to a dealer in Lubbock and they said bad NOx sensor and parts are a month out. Keep driving it. Around 13000 miles and calling 10 different dealers took it to a dealer in Redding California. They diagnosed it as the NOx sensor and have no idea when parts will be available. Another dealer told me the part is being redesigned and it's unavailable. So I'm almost 100% positive the truck hasn't regened since the light came on and I'm starting to notice a hesitation and slight lack of power. It's got 14500 miles on it now and been two months since the problem started. I'm actually sitting at the dealer in Redding while the look at. Very frustrated with ford at this point. This truck was purchased for and used solely for work and so that I wouldn't be in shop all the time! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
292 Posts
not really a suggestion, but if you happen to have a bluetooth or wifi adapter you can download an app like forscan on a phone or tablet, to monitor PIDs on things like your different EGT sensors, DPF backpressure, dpf soot load, etc etc and maybe pinpoint a problem yourself. Might post your question in the 17' forum on FTE as well

Or you can also make the parts fall off with an EZ lynk and a few other items. I have had great luck with my EZ lynk

·
Registered
82 Posts
not really a suggestion, but if you happen to have a bluetooth or wifi adapter you can download an app like forscan on a phone or tablet, to monitor PIDs on things like your different EGT sensors, DPF backpressure, dpf soot load, etc etc and maybe pinpoint a problem yourself. Might post your question in the 17' forum on FTE as well

Or you can also make the parts fall off with an EZ lynk and a few other items. I have had great luck with my EZ lynk
Are you saying that FORScan and/or EZ Lynk can pull info from a 2017 without an ODB dongle hooked up to the port?

·
Registered
292 Posts
no, thats what i was referring to speaking of an "adapter"

·
Registered
71 Posts

Looked at the page, and holy moly, there's a lot of different supported modules...and one you particularly recommend? What else is required? I have a iPhone 6s Plus...page says I need a Wifi adapter? Anymore info on this? Thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Im not sure i understand the question, for the iphone to talk to truck you have to have a wifi adapter, iphone's bluetooth is locked out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, same here. 2017 350 with 6K miles on it. In my case the dealer is telling me its also the wiring harness that the NOx filter plugs into. On backorder, ETA 3 weeks. Love the truck but not happy about this, and I'm not convinced its over yet.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I have seen a handful of these now. Water is getting into the upstream NOx module harness connector causing corrosion to it and the module. There is no repair pigtail (yet) for the harness so the harness must be replaced along with the module. I assume that engineering is aware of this and has investigated the failure but I have not seen any notice of it as of yet or any updated parts. Last one I saw was about a month ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My NOx sensor problem has Ben fixed. It took until the truck had about 11k miles but they did fix it and the module that goes to it. I *****ed and complained because it seamed it didn’t regen that whole time so Ford (not a dealer) but ford motor company extended my power train warranty to 200k miles. I’m at 47k now and it’s still running great. Got an oil leak coming from the CCV valve hose but other than that no problems. Good luck but you gotta go right to ford they’ll take care of you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 F250 that I have had the engine light coming on multiple times and they simply "reset" it. Now they are telling me it is the Nox sensor and that since it is past my Ford warranty they have to get with the company that has the extended warranty. Hmm - wonder if that was done on purpose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your comment. It encouraged me and I thought my dealer had accurately diagnosed the problem and soon all this would be behind me. This week Ford replaced the wiring harness, but the CEL light is still on. They replaced the NOX sensor a few weeks prior and they don't think they need to replace it again. They seem stumped, I'm getting discouraged and frustrated - the truck had 5000 miles when this started, and its almost been two months with no resolution. Service advisor says he thinks its a bad computer board or something like that. Any advice? Did I just buy a 65K lemon?????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts