The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need clarification - Looking at the F-350 Platinum truck with a 6.7L 4 Valve Power Stroke® Diesel V8 (B20) Engine.
Don't know to much about Biodiesel but my question is can this truck go to any service station and fill up on diesel. What are the pros and cons!
Thanks for the help! New to the site...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Need clarification - Looking at the F-350 Platinum truck with a 6.7L 4 Valve Power Stroke® Diesel V8 (B20) Engine.
Don't know to much about Biodiesel but my question is can this truck go to any service station and fill up on diesel. What are the pros and cons!
Thanks for the help! New to the site...
The 2017 6.7 continues to be B-20 compatible.

Try to fuel where you know they are going through a decent amount of fuel on a regular basis. Avoid the small stations that don't move much product (for a variety of reasons).

Also, many use a good diesel additive to increase cetane (due to low numbers in today's ULSD) as well as a similar additive if you run in the winter months (anti-gel). Lots of folks stick with the Ford PM22A and PM23A. I've settled on Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost (summer) and Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost (winter, anti-gel) from PowerService on my 2017. Still others use other products from Standyne, Archoil, etc. Some choose to use no additives.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You shouldn't run into any stations with higher than the B20--and a lot of them are less than that. This is what I have seen in the western US--don't know anything about out east.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
99% of diesel pumps have a B5 or less ULSD.
0.99% of diesel pumps might be between B5 and B20. (It varies based on seasonal ambient outdoor temperatures).
0.01% of diesel pumps have higher than B20 (and that is usually only in the summer because BioD gels much sooner than conventional diesel).

If you are using a major brand fuel then it is not going to be higher than B20 and many States require the pump to be labeled if it is above B5.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
BTW, BioD has excellent lubrication benefits and often higher Cetane and anywhere between B2 and B5 is advantageous for this reason.
But BioD has a slightly lower energy content so you might see a slight drop in fuel economy as you increase above B5.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Most stations are B5 to B11. You can run up to B20.
Most stations should have a label on the pump indicating percent of Bio. 99.9 percent of places will be fine.
Fill up at busy stations with a high turnover of fuel.
I agree on a fuel add every tank. I run FPPF products. There are many. Redline 85+, Opti-Lube, Alliant Power UltraLube, are all very similar in content and ingredients.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Most stations are B5 to B11. You can run up to B20.
Most stations should have a label on the pump indicating percent of Bio.
News to me and I pay attention to such things including legislation and feedstocks.

Where do you live ? Even in the Ag States, I have not seen a majority of pumps offering above B5.
Do you live in CA? I could see an incentive to running higher BioD content there due to mild weather AND more importantly, as a means to achieve the State mandated Minimum 53 CN.

Your insight appreciated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mobil station in Central Illinois has pump labeled "This fuel is blended between 5 and 20 percent biodiesel." I have ran it on my old 7.3 several times. Never had any issues. Almost all around here are labeled at least 5 percent bio.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Mobil station in Central Illinois has pump labeled "This fuel is blended between 5 and 20 percent biodiesel." I have ran it on my old 7.3 several times. Never had any issues. Almost all around here are labeled at least 5 percent bio.
I filled up a few times at Shell stations in IL that were B20. The fuel was clearly labeled, "Not a Shell Product".
I spoke with the manager of the fuel supplier and he was really happy to talk shop.
IL was getting a BioDiesel tax exemption for fuel above B10.

This was about 3 years ago and there were maybe 10 stations statewide that were greater than B5, but now there appears to be closer to 50 using the same link below.

I use the website and interactive map found here: Retail Locations - Biodiesel.org

In the cold temps you are getting, even the pumps listed as between B6-B20 will only be using B6 this winter :surprise:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used to run BioD as much as I could in my 7.3 around 9-10 years ago when diesel was around $5/gal. Stopped dd'ing my truck back in '11 though, and as much as my 7.3 sits I didn't pay much attention to BioD as I didn't want it to gel up in the cold. Interesting to see that a lot of stations are using this much BioD in their fuels these days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts