The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question has likely been asked but I didn't find it anywhere.

I have an ATV weighing 980 lbs, and 93" long and I want to load into the bed of my short-bed. I also have a tool box I would rather not have to leave behind and travel 2K miles. Yip I am being bullheaded because I don't want to pull a trailer this trip.

My question; will the new aluminum tailgate support at least half the weight of the ATV? Having said that, I will also be using KOLPIN tie down which attaches to the ATV receiver and the receiver on the truck.

I have attached a picture of the preload last weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Lay down some 2x6 and a 6ft sheet of plywood in the bed to help distribute the load.
DENNY

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response, Denny.

I had considered a sheet of 3/4” plywood, but your idea of also adding some 2X6 makes more sense.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I don't have any idea either. Would hate for you to mess up your truck, but I do agree that just a couple 2x6's under the tires would be a great idea. Strap it down tight in the front and just tight enough in the rear to keep it from moving.

Or pull your box and downsize it?? That'd be easier than pulling a trailer for 2k miles.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Yep, distribute the load.
I bent the inside cover on my tailgate in my 2006 by putting the rear tires of my Rhino on it.
I then created a "deck" using 2X12 and that took care of the problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
While these won't help stop the inside of the tailgate from being bent in, they most certainly will stop the cables from breaking:

Many companies make these types of steel support straps.

Your ATV is over 900#? Wow. And here I thought my 2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS was a fat pig at a bit over 600# ... LOL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had something similar to this when I had a 4wheeler and it supported the atv thru the hitch.

Kolpin® Lock-it Rite ATV System : Cabela's
Thank you for your response.

I in fact bought one of the Kolpin systems from Cabela's before my trip, and along with the suggestion of 3/4" plywood and 2X6's it all worked out great. There is another bunch out of Louisiana that makes one similar to Kolpin. I didn't care for their public knock-down of Kolpin marketing strategy. They would have been better off letting the reviews speak for themselves. I may have then considered buying theirs instead. I guess I'm funny that way.

Anyway, thank you all for your responses.

RGR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts