The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, it's been a little while since I've been around the site but I need some advise. My 2017 F350 6.7 has developed an oil drip. This is my third 6.7 and I haven't had this happen on any of them. I've got 65000 miles on this truck and do my own service on it, 7500 mile oil and filter changes, 25000 mile fuel filter changes, etc. During my last oil change I noticed the wetness around the oil pan, it appears to be coming from the pan gasket, I can't really tell because of the huge engine crossmember under the area. The leak is on the passengers side and everything above the top of the pan is clean as far as I can tell. I talked to a local Super Duty shop, local dealer is a huge joke, and described what was going on. They said if it's the upper pan gasket that it's a major job. The cab and motor would need to be pulled off and out to repair it at an estimated 3000 dollars. Has anyone had this issue or know anything about it? I don't think the price is unreasonable considering the work required, but wondering what could have caused it to happen. The truck is a daily driver/work truck but i don't do a ton of heavy towing. I don't know if it matters but I have been using Rottela T4 15-40 since it was upgraded to meet the new Ford specs. Any help would greatly help.
Thank,
Keith

·
Registered
647 Posts
Don’t have to pull cab and motor for upper oil pan but transmission does need to come out. It could be that or the bolts on the vacuum pump loosen up. I wanna say I paid 1500-ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Umm. :cautious:

Yes, the upper oil pan seal is a well known pattern failure on a 2017 6.7L. It's silicone actually. The Proper procedure to repair the leak is to remove the transmission and slightly jack the engine up and do it in chassis. There are those who insist the front engine covers are leaking and insist on resealing both and removing the engine to do it. Your engine still has warranty coverage as of now so I recommend the dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Umm. :cautious:

Yes, the upper oil pan seal is a well known pattern failure on a 2017 6.7L. It's silicone actually. The Proper procedure to repair the leak is to remove the transmission and slightly jack the engine up and do it in chassis. There are those who insist the front engine covers are leaking and insist on resealing both and removing the engine to do it. Your engine still has warranty coverage as of now so I recommend the dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure if the front engine cover is leaking also, there appears to be some residue up front also. I thought that may be from parking slightly downhill though. As far as warranty at 65000 miles that ship has sailed, it only carries 5 years or 60000 miles. That's my luck 5000 miles to late. Thanks for the repair info, I'm going to call a dealer 60 miles away and see what they say.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm not sure if the front engine cover is leaking also, there appears to be some residue up front also. I thought that may be from parking slightly downhill though. As far as warranty at 65000 miles that ship has sailed, it only carries 5 years or 60000 miles. That's my luck 5000 miles to late. Thanks for the repair info, I'm going to call a dealer 60 miles away and see what they say.
I’d call ford especially since it’s a known issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong. The doctor is right I thought Ford had reduced the diesel warranty and took the window sticker as fact. I called the other dealer and he said it was in warranty, then I checked my book. Cart before the horse kind of thing. I'm going to drop it off at the dealer 60 miles away right after new years for the repairs. Thank y'all for the assistance. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, I know this info is helping mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually, the engine itself has 100k mile warranty, i have the exact same problem, went to de dealership and they said they will fix it and put me on schedule for the 22 of march. My truck has 69000 miles, he did explain that the transmission had to be removed to do the job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For anybody interested in knowing, dealership replaced oil gasket with 69,000 miles at no charge, if you have a 6.7 with less than 100k miles and have the infamous leak, give your dealer a try, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts