The Diesel Stop banner

'2017 Sync 3 FordPass

17K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  larrgh 
#1 ·
I was at the dealer and notice a single page flyer laying around about the FordPass app for the Sync Connect that allows remote start. I am assuming this is for the new Ford's with the Sync 3 and not the older Sync in the 2016 and older vehicles.

Not sure if there is a yearly charge for the remote start and other vehicle controls like the current Ford Remote Access/remote start setup requires.

https://www.fordpass.com/en_us/home.html

You guys with the 2017 trucks on order might check this out if you have the Sync 3 system. Maybe the Ford IVT Team will chime in on some specifics.

#2 ·
I'm curious about this too. The FordPass site says, "With a 2017 Escape or 2017 Fusion equipped with optional SYNC® Connect , you can unlock and start your vehicle or check your fuel level with just a tap. Plus, have your vehicle ready to go when you are by scheduling it to start automatically." somewhere I saw a mention of it going to the F-150 soon, have heard nothing about the SuperDuties.

When I asked one dealer about it they just said, "It's all just a code update". I'm betting he won't give me that in writing. :)

From the Owners site:"Vehicles equipped with SYNC Connect: SYNC Connect is standard on the 2017 Escape Titanium and is included in the SE Technology Package. For 2017 Fusion, it is standard on the Fusion Platinum and Platinum Hybrid. In addition, it is standard equipment for the Fusion SE (202A), Titanium (300A), V6 Sport (401A), SE Hybrid (602A), and Titanium Hybrid (700A) when the Driver Assist Package (90A) is ordered."

*SYNC Connect is an optional feature on select 2017 model year vehicles and includes service for five years from the vehicle sale date as recorded by the dealer. FordPass is available through a free download via the App Store® or Google Play™ store. Message and data rates may apply. Services may be limited by mobile phone network coverage area. Apple and Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple, Inc. Android, Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google, Inc.

4G LTE is not available everywhere. To check wireless coverage in your area, go to att.com/maps and choose Wireless Coverage."

Those keywords make the think the head unit itself (or truck computer, bus) will have an AT&T 4G modem installed somewhere, and I'm guessing the ones in the current SuperDuties do NOT have that....

#3 ·
I m not sure about an AT&T 4G modem or another company.....but I do know the Sync3 NAV does not use SD cards. I wonder how a map update will be accomplished.

I do use the FordPass to view the limited data from the Ford Oasis system.

Maybe someone will buy one of the 2017 Ford Service DVD's and let us know what there is in the circuit.

#4 ·
My 2011 has the hard-drive based Sync system (Sync 1?), it does map updates from DVD's.

#5 ·
I believe the Sync for 2011-2016 trucks are the same with maybe some revisions to the modules over the years. Maybe the FORD IVT Team will chime in and give us some input.

#6 ·
Then I found some articles talking about "APIMs" and Sync 3, and google found me this article. So it seems the "computer" or Accessory Protocol Interface Module is a separate from the head unit computer that comes in Nav and non-Nav versions. So I'll try to learn more about that and Sync Connect. :)

#7 ·
Hey Everyone,

Sync Connect and Navigation are two separate features. Sync Connect uses an embedded modem to use the Ford Pass app for vehicle location, remote start, locking of doors, etc. This is only available on a select 2017 vehicles with SYNC 3. Navigation updates can vary depending on which SYNC system is installed. The SYNC with Voice Activated Navigation uses a DVD to update, whereas the MyTouch system uses SD cards. The navigation update for SYNC 3 hasn't been determined yet, but keep an eye out for future announcements. Let me know if there's anything else I can answer!

Cara

#10 ·
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.