The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the market for a new super duty. I absolutely love my 2015 F350 PSD, SRW, CC, LB, 4x4, lariat ultimate. But....it’s time for a dually.
Does anybody know if there were significant changes between the model years 2017 and 2019? I know the 2020 is a different animal and looking at that as well. I’ve found a 2017 that is absolutely perfect with 23k miles and has every possible available option in 2017. Were there any improvements/extra features in the next two model years? A reason not to buy a 2017? Specifically the F350 PSD, CC, DRW, LB, 4x4, lariat ultimate (basically a platinum w/o badging).

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
I think they bumped the HP/TQ a tad on the '18+ trucks. I don't know of any specific physical changes, if any at all.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m really torn with buying a fully loaded low mileage dually vs a new 10speed dually. It would be at lest a $10k dollar difference and more like $20k apples to apples. I don’t need the bells and whistles but they are nice!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also torn on the 350/450. It’s just for pulling my slide in camper and boat. For some reason, the 350 has over 1k lb payload capacity. Love the wide track, but not sold on the 19.5’s

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
F450 has a higher base truck weight and sacrifices that in the payload capacity. While the F450 would be a better truck for higher loads all the time, the F350 is more than enough for most people.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My camper is 5k lbs plus 1k lbs tongue weight which is over the 450 payload (crazy). Looks like the highest gear in the F450 is 4.30 vs the F 350 4.10 which is more desirable for freeway. So I think I’ve narrowed it to a F350. Now just a matter of the 10speed is worth it??

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just drive a 450. That answered that question. I think I need to schedule an appt with my chiropractor:)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Did you drive a 10spd vs the '17? I LOVE my 17 and use it to haul my bronco to the trails with the total package weighing around 7k. It has had zero issues pulling the load around locally, and even on some CO mtn passes. I don't think you can go wrong, so if you like the bells and whistles on the 17 vs what you want to spend on a new one, then I'd say get the '17 and save yourself the $$.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still haven’t pulled the trigger. I’m back to the 450 realizing the GVW numbers game. Does anybody know If the platinum or king ranch seats are actually a step above lariat ultimate? Better padding or just slightly better leather?

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
FWIW, If your on the bubble between the two you might consider looking at your states yearly registration fees. I know in IL. going from the increased GVWR of a 350 to a 450 is quite a jump in registration/plate fees. Though, with cost of the truck, fuel, insurance, registration fee is probably a moot point ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
If the 350 DRW will do it then another thing to think about it resale. Not many people want a 450.

how big is your boat?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still haven’t pulled the trigger but getting close. I still haven’t driven a 350 dually but have quite a few miles on my buddy’s ‘19 450 platinum. I do not like how it jerks back and forth chasing the ruts in the road. Extremely scary on narrow country roads with oncoming semi’s. But it does drive very nice otherwise.
FYI. My slide in camper is roughly 5k lbs and I can easily put 1k more in Food/gear. My boat is light but my early bronco on the trailer is about 10k lbs with somewhere around 1200lbs on the tongue. I’m just thinking the 450 will handle it better then the 350. Thoughts?
Does anybody know all the differences besides the wide track front axle? I know the chassis cab is totally different so looking for comparisons on the 350/450 with a factory bed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If my memory serves me right, you get bigger brakes and the rear end is bigger.

Not much else. Oh and you get those extremely expensive to replace tire odd ball size that no one seems to stock or carry and cost and arm and leg to replace.

350 dually should be fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually, the 450 holds their value really well in the NW (I’m in Oregon an no, Kate Brown is not my Governor). That being said, tires really aren’t an issue finding over here since there’s so many on the road. If I bought a 350, I’d end up putting wheels and tires on it right away which would be around $4k. I’d leave the 450 the way it is and maybe buy 22’s for more tire options.
i have to admit, I really like the look of the 450 and the right turning radius is amazing. But i hate how it grabs the ruts in the road. Is this a problem in the 350? Also, does anybody know if the frame is the same on the factory bed equipped 450/350? I twisted the frame on my 2015 F350 from the frame mounted camper tie down. I know the chassis cab are beefier.
Also still trying to figure out why the payload is over 1000lbs higher on the 350. Is it all just numbers to keep the 450 in a lower class. Are the spring rates the same?

·
Registered
75 Posts
You should really sit down with a knowledgeable heavy truck sales person. For us MN area, its Boyer Ford. They can tell you exactly what the 450 has compared to a 350. Ask around and I'm sure there is a heavy Ford dealer in your area.

Next - when ford switched to the aluminum body on 2017 they took all those weight savings and slapped it into frame and suspension upgrades. These 2017 + frames are way stronger than the previous models. Ford also E coats all their frames for longevity, unlike your Dodge guys.

If you want try giving Boyer Ford Trucks in Minneapolis MN a call, I bet they can steer you in the right direction. Heck they may even want to help you out with purchasing one, lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts