The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the forums with no luck. Want to change out the front damper hoping to get rid of some of the shimmy/jumping this rig does when going over bumps at speeds around 45 and up. Can be quite scary to have the truck feel like the front end is coming apart underneath you. Anyone have experience with or suggestion for a replacement. Only 21K on the beast so I know its not in need of a rebuild.

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
I'd have to double check the application but there might be a solution to fit you needs. Do you have the OEM damper ??

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes. Everything is original. Except the rear pumpkin juice, which Ford forgot to include either from the factory or its times in their "Fast Lube". Master Ford mech with his own shop found that during the last oil change. Luckily no apparent damage or failure.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Does the truck have active steering?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you mean Adaptive steering, yes.

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
OneUpOffroad supports the F350 DRW trucks, they do not support the F450 DRW trucks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It could just be a crap steering damper. My 18 got a terrible oscillation so I took it back to Ford. They replaced the damper and after just a few miles it was crap again. I bought the same stock part from Rock Auto and the steering has been fine since. Currently < 20K miles. I think there are some bad dampers out there.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think I'd look into Bilstein if I were going to replace the damper.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Late model F350 CC trucks are strange when it comes to steering stability and quality. I don't like them especially with a gas engine and I have had a number of customers with complaints that I cannot seem to fully resolve. I have deemed the bump nibble 40+ MPH to be annoyingly normal and there seems to be no remedy available for a Ford tech bound to use stock parts and specifications.

With regard to the stock dampers being crap, regarding the build date of the replacement part HC3Z-3E651-F made before 01-May-2018 are not to be used. Word to the wise.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I replaced the new OEM Motorcraft damper on mine with one from Bilstien and it made a world of difference. Mine is a 12 though, so don't know if Bilstein makes one for the 19, but if they do, it really helped stiffen up my steering.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I hate to support Carli due to them not standing behind the Fox shocks they sold me and I’m sure there are other options. I have this set up on my ‘15 and has been flawless. Made for leveled off lifted trucks so may not work for you?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts