The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Unfortunately was out on a call the other night and some low life broke into our firehouse. They took a bunch of our stuff then found my keys. Ran off in my mint 2000 F250 7.3 manual. They found it the next morning burned to a crisp.
I’m looking at new trucks. I like to keep my vehicles for a long time. There are two 2019 trucks left that meet what I really like in the area. I should be able to get them at invoice minus the $3500 in Ford rebates. Around 64,000 for a lariat that is fairly loaded. So the decision to buy this one or order up a 2020 comes into play. Should I hold out a few months for the 2020? New transmission with 10 speeds and more HP and torque?
This is all costing me a ton of money that I wasn’t really needing to do since my 7.3 was perfect. So I’m trying to make a good decision.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2019/08/30/authorities-ask-for-publics-help-searching-for-homeless-man-who-stole-firefighters-truck/

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Well either one will suit you fine I hope. Do you want the 2020 HP/TQ improvements and a 10spd?? That 2019 will seem to be light years away from your 7.3L so adding 50hp/100FT-TQ (???)might not really be noticeable in a 2020. The 2020 won't be here till like December or January....can you wait??

·
Registered
613 Posts
So sorry to hear about that. Just chaps my hide to hear of people who think it's ok to do this sort of thing!! I hope your insurance is helping you out. Remember you can fight with your ins if their offer isn't fair for what you had.

Anyway, I ordered my '17 and it was really nice to get it as close to what I wanted as possible. But these trucks are all pretty nice so you just have to decide what you want. something on the lot will likely be cheaper than ordering.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve driven the 6.7 a lot since my father owns one. They are definitely nice. I know the 2019 will be more than I will ever need.
I was just thinking since the 2020 is right around the corner and it has the new 10 speed plus some more power should I wait for it.
Do the new trucks need a 10 speed? I’ve heard the new engine improvements give some extra mpg as well? I also saw that the truck will be a little lower to the ground. Not really wanting that 😕 I like how the 19 sits.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
torquen, Sorry to hear about your truck being stolen and destroyed. You guys (firefighters) deserve a lot of praise and higher wages for your service to the community and the risks you take. Hope it all works out. Glenn

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hello all. Unfortunately was out on a call the other night and some low life broke into our firehouse. They took a bunch of our stuff then found my keys. Ran off in my mint 2000 F250 7.3 manual. They found it the next morning burned to a crisp.
I’m looking at new trucks. I like to keep my vehicles for a long time. There are two 2019 trucks left that meet what I really like in the area. I should be able to get them at invoice minus the $3500 in Ford rebates. Around 64,000 for a lariat that is fairly loaded. So the decision to buy this one or order up a 2020 comes into play. Should I hold out a few months for the 2020? New transmission with 10 speeds and more HP and torque?
This is all costing me a ton of money that I wasn’t really needing to do since my 7.3 was perfect. So I’m trying to make a good decision.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2019/08/30/authorities-ask-for-publics-help-searching-for-homeless-man-who-stole-firefighters-truck/
Wow this story sucks man.

If you get the 2020 than there will be no rebates. So if you want to save $3,500 I would get the 19. it's still a very nice truck to be sure wouldn't be a mistake ether way.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your story, and others, is why I keep my keys with me. I put my pants on and my turnouts, just added a layer of Nomex, every time I’m dispatched. Thieves are the lowest of low. Sad for your loss Brother! The 6.7 is light years ahead of our 7.3s and you won’t regret anything about the purchase of a 19 or 20 except the payment

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Wow, that sucks is an understatement. I have been looking around to find a good old 7.3, hard to find in decent shape, and those that are in decent shape are selling near the cost, if not more than a late model! If you want to save maintenance costs down the line, the new 7.3 Gas engine will be available, heard it will be a beast and that is stock, and you just know Ford left a lot under the hood for improvements.

When I had to replace my crashed F-150 in 2017, I looked at getting a Superduty, but the costs to maintain the Diesel far outweighed the benefit of owning one, especially compared to the old 7.3 I had. Worse mistake I ever made was getting rid of it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Also, keeping your keys with you will deter your brother firefighters from messing with your ride, changing your radio presets, etc. not that I have ever pulled off things like that😁

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. As for the 2029 or 2020, well I just purchased a 2019 and it is so much smoother quieter and nicer that I will not really miss my 2001 7.3 when I sell it. You can't go wrong getting a 2019 with the rebates.
The 01 had been a great truck for the over the 16 years I owned it. I was pretty much dead set on just having the body work and paint redone on my 01 but my wife talked me into getting a new 6.7 instead. Now I just have to find a buyer for the trusty old 01.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Sad, your story isn't unusual these days. As for the 2019 versus 2020 choice, if you can wait the few months for the 2020, I urge you to do so. Main point is the 10 speed transmission and the new diesel engine output. The just announced 2020 diesel engine output is a BIG improvement over the 2019 numbers: the 475 HP Versus 440 HP is interesting but the torque increase, 1050 FP versus 935 FP is HUGE. Don't miss the opportunity...you'll eventually regret it!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would be reluctant to be a beta tester on the 10 speed Super Duty so I would vote for the 2019. I know they have been using that transmission in other applications but nothing with the torque that a 6.7 makes. After having an out of warranty engine failure at 60,000 miles in mine I'm ready to go to a gasser. The new 7.3 gas engine with the 10 speed sounds promising but 2020 will be the first production on those and there's no way I would buy the first run of production on anything. The 6.7 is great as far as performance but it's no where close to being as reliable as the 7.3.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I feel like the engine itself has proven reliable. It is generally the emissions junk that begins to fail around it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I feel like the engine itself has proven reliable. It is generally the emissions junk that begins to fail around it.
I would have agreed with that except mine failed at 60,000. The good news is it looks like Ford addressed the problem in 2017.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I hate that it happened to you, but I have to believe that the ratio of 6.7's that have have very little issues far outweigh those that blew up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts