The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone order a Truck last weekend and get told that the factory spray in bed liner and the factory 5th wheel prep package were low in stock and may cause a delay in receiving the truck? This is what the dealer told my dad Saturday as he placed his order. They gave no definite yes or no but said it could be an issue. Yes we are aware that there are other aftermarket options for both, but for only what Ford wanted to do it from the factory why bother having to get the truck, then take it to a aftermarket shop.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Yes, it's true. Along with a few other options that could delay your ordered truck from being scheduled.
I don't mind getting it done after I get my new truck home...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Just get the spray in bed liner. The hitch might be the issue. I had to install my B&W hitch myself truck didn't come with it. If you tow I do suggest you get air bags before you install the hitch. Some of the bolts for my air bags were behind the frame plates for the hitch.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dad decided just to go with it and order it how he wanted it. It takes however long it takes. He has my two 97's to use so it is not like he is without a truck.
Dealer said the Spray in was the bigger issue, they were having a problem getting the compound. Sunday I went to the grocery store and tried to get some cream cheese for my bagels, there was a sign in front of the EMPTY cooler section that said there was a "National Cream Cheese Shortage Sorry For The Inconvenience"! Then yesterday the guy at the restaurant I ate lunch at said he was having problems getting deli meats. Can not wait to see what next!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Dad decided just to go with it and order it how he wanted it. It takes however long it takes. He has my two 97's to use so it is not like he is without a truck.
Dealer said the Spray in was the bigger issue, they were having a problem getting the compound. Sunday I went to the grocery store and tried to get some cream cheese for my bagels, there was a sign in front of the EMPTY cooler section that said there was a "National Cream Cheese Shortage Sorry For The Inconvenience"! Then yesterday the guy at the restaurant I ate lunch at said he was having problems getting deli meats. Can not wait to see what next!
Can't wait for the fuel shortage to justify the high cost of fuel.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The 5th wheel prep packages were in short supply in 2020 when I got my truck. My truck did not come with the prep package so I tried to order the Ford part, but it was out of stock with no estimated date of restock. I ended up buying the Reese underbed kit - it is pretty much exactly the same thing as the Ford piece - attaches in the same place using existing holes in the frame. You just have to drill the holes in the bed, and there are dimples in the bed floor that show you exactly where to drill. Hardest part is lifting the bed up to get the hitch frame in place. I used a 2 post lift to pick the bed up, but it could be done with a person on each corner - it is very light since it is made of aluminum.

I would have special ordered my own truck with everything I wanted, but who knows how long that would have taken to actually show up. As it was, I ended up getting the only truck within 500 miles of me that had all of the other options I wanted. Had to pay MSRP to get it, but at least I got it.

I still have not gotten around to installing the trailer wiring plug in the bed, but the trailer wiring easily reaches the plug at the bumper so it really has not been a problem. The most inconvenient part is having to unplug to open the tailgate and then plug back in after closing the tailgate, but that's not really that big of a deal.

Reactions: 1997VAstroker

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Greg, why not a 5th wheel tailgate?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Take a vin number from a truck that has the wiring in the bed and Ford can sell you the harness and box that goes with it. I got a harness from a trailer supply that fit but had to get a outlet box from Home depot and make it work. I mounted mine up just under the rail of the truck so it's not in the way if I load dirt or something in my truck. Hardest part was drilling the hole in the side of the bed. In the lower part of the bed for the hitch. I used a 4" hole saw. I measured and allowed 1/8 inch for the bed liner before I cut the hole. I used a 2x6 about 4' long cut a hole in it so the hole saw didn't walk when I drilled the hole. just stand on the board so it wont move. Make sure there is nothing under the truck first. I put primer and painted the edge of the metal before installing my hitch. After getting everything installed I put silicone around the hitch to seal water from getting down through that hole. I would get air bags and install them first.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
They can be adjusted for a tight fit...used to be kind a common swap but not so much anymore?
Greg03PSD?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Greg, why not a 5th wheel tailgate?
I might consider one If I towed a 5th wheel or gooseneck full time, but my experience this past summer was that I towed my RV about one weekend per month and I don't feel like swapping tailgates all of the time. The King Ranch tailgate looks much better on the truck, so I wouldn't want the 5th wheel tailgate on it when I was not towing. I would also lose the backup camera on the tailgate - not a problem if towing a trailer, but almost a necessity when backing up without a trailer. I would more than likely accidentally damage the tailgate if I swapped it frequently. I took it off once when I installed my 5th wheel hitch subframe and it's a pretty heavy piece since it has the pull-out step in it.

My biggest worry with the factory tailgate while towing is having the trailer come loose and hit the tailgate due to improper hookup, but my hitch is very foolproof when it comes to hitching correctly and I always do a tug test after hitching up. I could also accidentally take off with the tailgate down and crush it during a turn, but the truck kind of protects me from that - a "Tailgate ajar" message or something like that comes up on the dash if the tailgate is down when the transmission is in drive. I don't remember if it only does that when a trailer is attached, but I did see it come up once.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have the B&W hitch and you cant not get it hooked up wrong. It has a arm that closes the jaws so there is no way not to be connected to the hitch. I have hooked up hundreds of times and have yet to have the trailer not be solid in the hitch.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I can see if you have the fancy tailgate with the step why you would keep it.
IIRC, the camera can be relocated or swapped into another one.
Does the tailgate ajar happen for all the new trucks? That would be nice.
I did not order the fancy tailgate...

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have the B&W hitch and you cant not get it hooked up wrong. It has a arm that closes the jaws so there is no way not to be connected to the hitch. I have hooked up hundreds of times and have yet to have the trailer not be solid in the hitch.
I have a Demco slider and it is very foolproof. Pull the release lever to lock it open, back into the pin, the pin closes the jaws, and the release lever pops inward. Very easy to look from the back of the hinge and see everything properly locked into place. You would have to try real hard to high-pin that hitch or pull away without it locked. The only trouble I had was getting it to release when I wanted to unhook the trailer, but that was due to a lack of grease on the pin.

I can see if you have the fancy tailgate with the step why you would keep it.
IIRC, the camera can be relocated or swapped into another one.
Does the tailgate ajar happen for all the new trucks? That would be nice.
I did not order the fancy tailgate...
The tailgate step is handy, especially since I am into "middle age" and cannot jump into the bed as easily as I used to. I don't think you could relocate the factory camera onto an aftermarket tailgate since the camera looks like it is integrated into the tailgate handle. I obviously would not use the step when the 5er is attached, but I have used it to get into the bed after unhooking the trailer at a campground, so it is still useful even when towing the trailer.
Not sure if the "tailgate ajar" message is shown on all models or just the upper trim level.
There are several electrical plugs that I have to disconnect in order to remove the tailgate since it has the camera and power opening, and there are some dummy plugs that came in a bag in the glove box that have to be installed that protect the connectors and (I think) let the truck's computers know that the tailgate is removed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts