The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS/non-html/2008/whatsnew2008.pdf

Rear axle ratio (late availability after Job 2 begins)

3.55 axle ratio will be optional with 17" or 18" tires/wheels on SRW 6.4L with automatic tranny and limited slip.

So you guys that had 3.55 ratio in your OBS pickups and thought it had enough oomph for your needs, it will soon be available again. My feeling is if you rarely gross more than about 16,000 pounds GCW, and rarely tow in hills or mountains, then the 3.55 ratio would be just what the doctor ordered.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I believe that is strongly due to the cost of fuel. And Ford should continue that option across the line including duallys.

Tom

·
Registered
511 Posts
i would like to see the 450 with atleast the 4.10 if not the 3.73, with out a decrease in gcwr, i want the 33k that the 4.88 offers with the 4.30 im content with ~45 up a 6% if it means a couple better mpg when empty. id even live with the 3.73 and a 26k if it was offered. im trying to decide witch route to go as im not inteseted in 4.88 trying to see if i can downsize the trailer we're looking to haul, right about 20,500-21,000 if i could lose a few thousand pounds i would jump on the 4.30

·
Banned
7,051 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

3.55 axle ratio will be optional with 17" or 18" tires/wheels on SRW 6.4L with automatic tranny and limited slip.

So you guys that had 3.55 ratio in your OBS pickups and thought it had enough oomph for your needs, it will soon be available again. My feeling is if you rarely gross more than about 16,000 pounds GCW, and rarely tow in hills or mountains, then the 3.55 ratio would be just what the doctor ordered.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like the 20" rubber has a longer rolling distance than the others, therefore it's not available.
So, I imagine my truck will reflect about the same gearing as a 17" or 18" equipped truck with 3:55 rears.

Personally, I thought the 4:10 gears were perfect in my DRW.
I do more in-town driving than anything else, so a slight reduction in gearing gave me that light truck feel.
We'll see.. Maybe I'll like it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I thought the 4:10 gears were perfect in my DRW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
My '05 CTD had 4.10 gears. Sure was a hot rod off the line, but turned 2300 rpm at 70 mph.

My '06 CTD has 3.73 gears. A little more sluggish off the line, but only turns about 1900-2000 rpm at 70 mph. Gets about 2 mpg better than the '05.

I pull 8000-10,000 lbs. MPGs start to die after 2000 rpm, so I try to keep the engine at around 1800 rpm. Nets out to about 68 mph. Pretty slow when you are in a 75 mph speed zone. 3.55's would let me run 70-75 mph but keep rpms in the 1600-1700 range.

BTW - Did anyone else notice in the E-350 and F-53 section that the TorqShift no longer has an external filter? The filter is not internal with a 36,000 miles OCI.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
While I can live with the 4.88's in my truck since the primary purpose is towing heavy, I would really like to have a two speed rear axle. Something I could have had with a F-650. One speed for unloaded driving, second gear for towing. Life than would be perfect. Could the offering of the 3.55 be a result of upcoming CAFE standards for all vehicles, including our precious heavy pickup trucks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I see some other changes that were not mentioned before such as new ignition switch, front air dam on 4x4 trucks. I would have liked the chrome package, my KR is kinda monotone, needs a little bump up. I want to see the exhaust chrome and the mirror caps. May be cheap to add on later as well as the tow hooks. The backup camera would be cool if you hook up a lot to regular trailers.
What I'm really looking for and still isn't available is a bluetooth setup for the nav system, not a mickeymouse aftermarket gadget. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif Starting the first of the year, the great State of CA will no longer allow handheld phone use and I refuse to wear one of those ear mounted, dorky, blue light flashing gizmos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/depressed.gif

·
Banned
7,051 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, the Federal Government needs to OUTLAW all cell phone activity while driving, period.
Hopefully, it won't take many more senseless and needless deaths before legislation is introduced.
Yeah, I'm ready to get flamed, but I also ride a motorcycle, and I'm kinda tired of almost getting killed each and every day by some kid chatting it up..
I think you can appreciate that....
Everybody's talking and driving on a cell phone these days, even the freggin cops.. Nice example guys, but not a surprise..
Just a couple of weeks ago and not far from me, 5 young and beautiful highschool grads were killed in a head on when the kid who was driving was texting. She hit a semi right in the kisser, and not much was left for their parents to gather up..

Aside from my rant, I'm very pleased with the way things worked out for me. The Job 2 updates were worth the extra wait. The Chrome Package makes the truck look totally different and updated from the Job 1 trucks, and man, does it look good!
Looks like an easy mod to make for those who like it..

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It sure would be nice if someone made the link to the "What's New for 2008" guide sticky in the ordering forum. It would sure help those who are contemplating ordering Job 2 trucks.

I remember constantly posting the link before, when new users had questions.

And I agree, the only option missing at this point is the bluetooth for handsfree cell operation. I read the Sync option would be available on all Fords, but who knows when.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
How soon? Sept.? How would we find out? The 18in 275/70/18 that comes stock with F350 SWD is taller or smaller in dia then the 16in. tire I have now on my 02 350? If the 18 is taller I can live with the 3.73's.

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[ QUOTE ]
It sure would be nice if someone made the link to the "What's New for 2008" guide sticky in the ordering forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask and ye shall receive. Did you notice the new sticky at the top of this forum? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[ QUOTE ]
How soon? Sept.? How would we find out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a clue. But in other years the "late availability" items showed up in the order guide two or three months later.

[ QUOTE ]
The 18in 275/70/18 that comes stock with F350 SWD is taller or smaller in dia then the 16in. tire I have now on my 02 350?

[/ QUOTE ]

The LT265/75R16 A/S on the '02 F-350 SRW was 655 tire revs/mile.

The 275/70R18 with A/T tread on the new F-350 SRW is taller at 629 tire revs/mile.

655 minus 629 = 4 percent.

3.73 minus 4 percent = 3.58

So assuming you have hot-rodded your 7.3L so it has as much power and torque as the new 6.4L, then the new truck with 275/70R18 tires and 3.73 ratio will "feel like" your current truck with stock tires and 3.58 ratio.

If you go for the 3.55 ratio in the new truck, it will "feel like" your truck with a 3.41 rear end. Them legs are gettin' pretty long!

And George, if you're still reading this, your 20" tires are just a hair shorter than 35s. They're 605 revs/mile, or 7.6 percent difference in effective rear axle ratio compared to stock tires back in '04 and earlier. So an '08 with 3.73 with 20" tires will "feel like" a 3.45 rear end in the '04 with stock tires. The 3.55 ratio available soon would mean your '08 with 20" tires might look good in the parking lot of the country club, but it wouldn't be worth a hoot for dragging a heavy trailer over the Adirondacks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Thanks Smokey...I'm going down tomorrow and hope to snatch a deal.

I will stick with the 3.73's. I'm in the mountains..all the time.

the 3.55's will be to low for me to bother.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
What kind of fuel mileage improvement is expected over the 3.73?

·
Registered
910 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I see some other changes that were not mentioned before such as new ignition switch, front air dam on 4x4 trucks. I would have liked the chrome package, my KR is kinda monotone, needs a little bump up. I want to see the exhaust chrome and the mirror caps. May be cheap to add on later as well as the tow hooks. The backup camera would be cool if you hook up a lot to regular trailers.
What I'm really looking for and still isn't available is a bluetooth setup for the nav system, not a mickeymouse aftermarket gadget. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif Starting the first of the year, the great State of CA will no longer allow handheld phone use and I refuse to wear one of those ear mounted, dorky, blue light flashing gizmos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/depressed.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

the factory nav system is too much money. you could get several different set ups for half the money. my boss got a gps/satelite radio and backup camera sytem for his 06, installed, after market of course, and the whole thing only ran him about 1900 bucks, and wait i forgot something else that went with it, a front and rear radar detector that would go over the radio wehn it goes off. i am not much into to aftermarket add ons, but for 1875 list and you have to buy the audiophile sytem for another 555, and 200 for satelite, and whatever the camera is, and then you still have the radar detector to think about, i think his a was pretty good deal in comparison. and its all hidden, no things on his windsheild or sticking out any where, camera uses same screen as everything else, oh yea it also has bluetooth for his phone.

·
Registered
910 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

more dumbA$$ requirements from ford. they should allow the axle ratio to available with a stick too. the stick gets better fuel economy anyway, and for those that drive along way to work, and don't do much towing, this would be a good choice.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Smokey Wren

Thanks, I always try to refer people to the "The What's New for 2008 Guide", and now its easier to find. Hope it helps someone with their questions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts