The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The 1994 F350 crew cab dually only has 22,786 miles. I use Power Service additives including a ounce of Bio Clean. I think the fuel sat in the tanks too long.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Drove a 1/4 tank out of front tank. Fuel filter light would come on with part throttle load. Came home took filter off and drained it into a mason jar. Same brown mess. Sludge appeared in the bottom of filter. I installed a new Wix filter with no water senso. 3/4 filled new filter with Diesel Kleen like i did with the last three filters. This time the dash lit up like Xmas tree with water in fuel light going off. No fuel, no start. I am getting tired of this. Next stop is probably a flat bed ride to a repair garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Went back and tried cycling the ignition key three times and cranking it over with the gas pedal to the floor. 2nd attempt and it started. This Wix filter has no sensor. The engine idles perfectly. Front tank is at 3/8 full. I want to get it as empty as possible to get the bad fuel out of the tank as much as possible.

I was thinking about running it out of fuel than putting in 5 gallons of fresh fuel. What do you think? Any ideas on getting the tank purged that have worked for you?

Bill

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Just to give you a answer, get that fuel out of the tanks.

Get a few 5 gallon fuel cans and siphon it out, then put some fresh fuel into it.

You could even get a electric fuel pump and put it on the line from the tank to suck that stuff out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to give you a answer, get that fuel out of the tanks.

Get a few 5 gallon fuel cans and siphon it out, then put some fresh fuel into it.

You could even get a electric fuel pump and put it on the line from the tank to suck that stuff out.
Yeah, the fuel is pretty bad. See the mason jar of bad fuel. i Have a defuel pump from my old race car days, several fuel cans and A deep cycle marine battery.

Where is simple place to tap into the fuel system?

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
It's obvious you need to remove the tanks and have them cleaned. We ran into that on rare occasion and pulled the tank, took it over to the steam rack and stuck the steam cleaner nozzle in the tank inlet and let it run for an hour or two.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's obvious you need to remove the tanks and have them cleaned. We ran into that on rare occasion and pulled the tank, took it over to the steam rack and stuck the steam cleaner nozzle in the tank inlet and let it run for an hour or two.
Ok, thanks. Now I need to find a repair shop that will drop the tanks and clean them.

I am near Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Bill

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
If anything pull at least one of the tanks and just take it to the car wash and clean it inside. Then make sure that it is dry before reinstalling it. Perhaps start with the rear tank since it is a little bit smaller than the front.

As for a shop, go down to a large truck stop or big truck shop in your area. If they won't drop the tank for you perhaps they will clean it if you pull it off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Pumped 20 gallons of fuel from both tanks

My race defueling rig was pressed into service and I fed a five foot piece of tygon into the tanks. After defueling i put in 12 gallons of fresh diesel fuel and I added Diesel Kleen to the front tank. Engine start easily and idles at 750 rpm in gear. Drives well. A new Wix fuel filter and separator. No moisture sensor. The threads were bad on the new filter where the stock water sensor would go.

In addition, I ordered a Wix inline diesel fuel filter to use as a prefilter for the stock fuel / water separator. I want to see the diesel fuel going to the engine.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
You'll be replacing the injector pump next. That sh*t is going to score everything in that pump that there is to score. Never mess with dirty fuel. All it is good for now is lighting a brush pile. Clean those tanks out before you run it very long, because the filter (no matter how good it is) can't stop all of the trash coming to it.

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
You'll be replacing the injector pump next. That sh*t is going to score everything in that pump that there is to score. Never mess with dirty fuel. All it is good for now is lighting a brush pile. Clean those tanks out before you run it very long, because the filter (no matter how good it is) can't stop all of the trash coming to it.
Right, Diesel Clean is not an algaecide if I remember right. As bad as your fuel sample looked, you'd be wise to pull and steam the tanks AND then use an algaecide also. The fleet trucking magazine we got at work talked about algae in diesel now and then but our shop or I never experienced it until one day on a trip I got a slug of it at a truck stop after fueling up. My case wasn't near as bad as yours, 2 or 3 filter changes and an algaecide and I never had another problem.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Prof,

When you say that your new WIX filters lack a WIF sensor, are you sure they have the ability to seperate water? I am not familiar with the filter options available for your truck but I would hate to see you use a filter that “fits” but lacks the ability to seperate water.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I use the Wix filter as well. It is a water separator. It just doesn't have a place for "water in fuel" wire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts